Opinion on survival-ATV gun and caliber

KenW.

Looking for advice on an ATV/survival/varmint rifle. Should be packable and capable taking small-medium thin skinned game at 100 yards.

I already take a handgun on desert ATV rides, but want a little more. Checked out the SU-16, Chiappa Little Beaver, Springfield M-6, SUB-2000. .22 mag, .17 hmr, other? Any input?

This one of the few places where the Ruger 10-22 takedown is really advantageous. One of those and a big bore revolver should cover all your needs.

I keep a henry http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=454989085 on the atv, its water proof, can be dropped in the lake it will float when packed up, small enough when packed up to not even know its a gun, it actually fits under my rack perfectly like it was made for my machine, and 22lr is strong enough for the most small tings...

If that is not what you are looking for how about a nice short lever gun with a scout scope, figure a browning BLR take down...
read through this, its a very nice weapon when done correctly
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=47&t=341049
images

I own one takedown with the straight stock
images

I know a blr will cost a little more than some other options, BUT it will get you a lot more, I would get a 20" 22-250 have it cut to be the same length as the stock, get the leupold scout mount, with a leupold scout scope, make a nice pack for it, figure under $2000 all done and capable of a lot more than most other packable guns..

Last edited:
So, would an AR-15 really be much heavier/bulkier than a .22lr rifle? It seems the .223 would outperform a .22lr and would be almost as easy to transport.

Get the SU 16, they are perhaps the best 'Survival' rifle available. Light weight, folds in half, very little metal,totally reliable. As you probably already know it accepts AR mags. Also, extra mags store in the hollowed out butt. Mine is at least as accurate as my Mini 14. Here in No. Idaho it is my truck gun and when out on the ATV it is what I take unless I take a hunt specific gun.

If you can live without something that takes down, you might consider a Marlin lever gun in .357 Mag. Can shoot .38s, powerful enough for med game within its range, and better than any .22 for personal defense, should it be needed. And a pretty small package overall.

Also not a semi auto, so doesn't look like an EBR (evil black rifle), and avoids any "assault weapon" bans/restrictions.

Just a thought...

I really like the Ruger American with one of the shorter barrels in 223. I have the compact, but the Ranch rifle looks good too. I paid $350 so it's cheap enough not to worry about getting beat up and mine shoots about .75 MOA. Short and light too.

.22 lr is small game only

I think a Rossi '92 makes for a great outdoors rifle.
In .357 it ought to take care of about anything required.

Small compact and reliable? H&R/NEF single shot sounds like the gun you need. Need something more versatile? How about a Savage 24? Rifle and shotgun so you'll be good for about any situation.

Honestly any compact bolt rifle is better than a single shot personally. A remington model 7, venture compact, ruger 77 compact or savage hog Hunter are all great options with a 2-7 scope. Ymmv some people like the simplicity and cheapness of single shots...i think thats all they are......simple and cheap. .223 is the caliber you want hands down cheap....affective...accurate...quiet ...reloadable.

Last edited:
I'll chime in with support for the SU16. If you're looking for something to use in an emergency or otherwise not on a regular basis, you don't want something that's going to take up space. The folding SU16 can be stuck in a pack or in a storage compartment and be ready when it's needed. No need to carry spare mags because they're stored in the stock. Reliable, accurate enough and lightweight. It's an excellent platform.

I carry a 18.5" 12 guage on my ATV. Its got peep sights on it and can accurately shoot slugs to birdshot. IMO a shotgun is a survival gun because of its versatility.

Just my opinion here but any thing that is for survivle should have the ability to kill small game like squirls and small birds with out blowing them to pieces.

If it was me Id go 12 ga. My second choice would be a 22 and a larger caliber pistol.

Back