Opinion on holsters

histed

The short version is this - I now have an SD9VE (which I like) and I need a tuckable CCW holster. My budget is limited. I'm looking at the Desantis Sof-Tuck and the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0. I'd like to hear from those who have actually used either of these for whatever firearm. Your opinions would be very valuable. Please refrain from steering me toward CrossBreed or and of the higher priced holsters. I know they're better, I know you get what you pay for - I've made my choice based on what I can afford at this point.
Thank all of you in advance

The short version is this - I now have an SD9VE (which I like) and I need a tuckable CCW holster. My budget is limited. I'm looking at the Desantis Sof-Tuck and the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0. I'd like to hear from those who have actually used either of these for whatever firearm. Your opinions would be very valuable.

Ask me in "4 to 6 weeks" (now 3 to 5 weeks). I've got a Aliengear v. 2 holster on order for one of my snubs, and that's their lead time.

I can tell you that the original leather backed Aliengear works well. (One came with a pistol I bought used). They are a pain to get on, and you need to figure out exactly where on your personal circumference they work best for you. I have not and likely will not use the tuck feature.

The biggest complaint I've seen with desantis is that its too bulk for a true ccw. I like the look of alien gear better, so I'll see if anyone else chimes in. Corrections - thanks for the Amazon tip - guess if I stick to known holsters like Galco it could be OK. If you don't mind me asking - what do you use?

Have you given a "Sticky" or "Remora" holster a try? I wear my Sticky's crossdraw and absolutely love them. One for a Kahr CM9, and one for a SIG P245. Very comfortable, you can adjust them easily, stick like glue, very thin, take sweat well, and not too expensive. You should be able to get one for around $30 with shipping. I told a doc friend of mine who wore but wasn't all that happy with several high end holster. He bought a Remora at a gunshow and he told me the other day that is all he uses now.

My experience with DeSantis and Alien Gear

I am really picky when it comes to holsters. I literally have a draw full of various holsters, some of which have been worn once never to be worn again.

I own the DeSantis Soft Tuck for my M&P Shield. It was well made for the price, fit the gun well, and did the job. With that being said, I was never really impressed with it. I wore it a few times, and that was the end of it.

I currently own 3 Alien Gear holsters: Two original Cloak tucks for the M&P Shield and Glock 19, one Cloak Tuck 2.0 for the Sig p220. Once I received my holsters from Alien Gear, I have been very pleased with them. The quality and fit seem exceptional for the price point I paid for them. I have worn either of the two original Cloak Tucks daily since I got them. I don’t even know I am wearing the M&P Shield, and only minimally notice the Glock 19. They adjust and conceal very well.

I only wore the Cloak Tuck 2.0 once for the Sig. I guess I had unreasonable expectations, as the gun is just too heavy to comfortably wear inside the waistband. The holster will most likely sit in my draw, unless I buy another shell and use it for another firearm.

One cool feature about Alien Gear holsters is the fact that you can buy interchangeable shells (I think for 12 dollars) to reuse your outer for multiple firearms. I can’t be bothered swapping out shells, hence the purchase of three separate holsters.

The only area I have mixed feelings about is their customer service. If you notice on their website they state a delay in responses due to high customer service volume. When I placed my order online my credit card was immediate billed, but the email invoice I received was blank showing the amount they charged, but not what was purchased. At first I thought that is how they sent billing verification. A few days later, I spoke to a buddy of mine who also made a purchase from Alien Gear, and he stated he received a full itemized email invoice. I tried to call Alien Gear customer service to ensure my order was processed properly, and that is where I ran into issues.

Over the course of two weeks it took me 3 emails, 3 left voice mail messages (because nobody ever picks up when you call them), and a threat to cancel my order and dispute my credit card charge before getting a response back from anybody.

Once customer service finally got back to me they stated they had a processing glitch called a “ghost order” where my order did not register in their system, but my credit card was charged and processed. Customer service was apologetic and receptive. They promised to rush my shipment, send it priority shipping at their expense, and throw in a belt clip variety pack for my trouble. I received my order a few weeks later.

I would buy holsters from them again in the future, and I was happy with the way customer service dealt with the issue. With that being said, I wish they would get their act together and hire more customer service representatives to deal with calls/emails. It would be nice to get a person on the phone when you call like you would with any reputable company.

Attachments

• Alien Holsters (385x800).jpg
    Alien Holsters (385x800).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 77
I'm not exactly sure if your budget gets blown out of line with a Comp-Tac MTAC holster, but I've been running mine for about a month and I'm truly loving it thus far. It seems to be a tremendous upgrade of what I replaced.

Now that could be simply because I wore it down to the point where it simply couldn't offer the comfort I wanted... but I got four and a half years from my KHolster.
http://www.kholster.com/proddetail.php?prod=CR
^That's what I ran for my EDC, a Glock 29. Got that in December of 2009. As a holster that allows me to tuck a shirt, it worked great. I was also pleased with the retention and the durability of the build.

I will say that I haven't checked their site in a LONG time and just grabbing that link right now to add to this post was a bit of an eye-opener. :eek: Now I realized that 2014 is not December, 2009, but I paid $36 for that holster and their price has shot up for sure.

The Desantis is a nice holster, and not as thick as the Crossbreed. I shot a few images for a project I am working on...

Holsters are important, but, and there always is a but in life ... it is not the cost but the function, especially safety minded, when one does not want to spend as much as they think they should. A holster that works is safer than a gun in your belt without one!:D

Attachments

• DeSantisHybrid sm F.jpg
    DeSantisHybrid sm F.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Smokehouse - I saw the youtube on Ramora and it might be worth another look. Stevens - nice looking holster but with shipping it would put me north of $60. Not sure if the Sigma c is the same as the SD9VE. If not, they don't show that holster for my pistol, but thanks for the link.
Thanks to all for your input. Guess I'll figure this out. I was leaning more toward AG until I read about their customer service. Still, looks like I may go that direction.

I've never used that holster but I own a few Desantis OWB and they are decent holsters.

I have used High Noon IWB and have had great luck with them. Their price point should be similar to the Desantis if you are interested.

I used a Sof-Tuck for my CA snub. It was a good IWB holster, but I didn't like the j-hook putting the weight on my waistband instead of my belt. I bought a Galco Stow-N-Go IWB holster that clips on my belt and have loved it. Price is equal to the Desantis.

BTW, you do have a sturdy belt? That's more important than the holster.

Seeker - thumbs up on the sturdy belt. Got that covered. Thanks for the reminder.
I think the Stow and Go is not tuckable, which is very important in my application. Looks like Ramora makes a tuckable for about $30, that might be an option also

The biggest complaint I've seen with desantis is that its too bulk for a true ccw. I like the look of alien gear better, so I'll see if anyone else chimes in. Corrections - thanks for the Amazon tip - guess if I stick to known holsters like Galco it could be OK. If you don't mind me asking - what do you use?

I use a Galco for my G26 that I got off Amazon. All but two holster I own have been bought off Amazon.

Hey Histed,
I hope you do check out the Sticky-type holsters, as I think you will find how easy to use they are. "Sticky" and "Remora" are the big two.

I didn't see earlier where you were also looking for a tuckable holster. Another suggestion: AceCase. I received many suggestions for one and figured I would give it a try since they are so cheap. I needed a holster that I could wear with scrubs, so it needed a clip on it. I must say that I have been extremely pleased with this very inexpensive holster. It is built like a tank, fits well, has a very nicely sewn in long clip, and is tuckable to boot. You can get them for less than $20 or so I believe. Best bang for the buck out there if you need it to clip on.

If you do look into remora, google around and find a coupon code. When I got one for my cm9 they had a coupon for free shipping, a free mag holder and 20% off. Ended up getting mine to my door for $19

I have a DeSantis Soft-Tuk for my revolver. I do like the reinforcement that makes re-holstering/holstering easy. I do not find it overly bulky. I did replace the clip on it with one from an even cheaper Black hawk holster that goes over either side of a belt loop. The DeSantis Soft-Tuk holster itself is great, the included clip, sucks.

I would buy one for my Firestorm .40 (to compare to yours), but would make the same clip modification.

Leather holsters in general. Don't even bother if not reinforced in some way.

I looked at SwapRig as an option, and may yet do that. I will for sure buy a UBG Canute for my .45 once budget allows.

Glock & CC - thanks again. Promo codes and coupons for holsters on ebay and amazon! Who knew? Not us old guys ;). I feel better about some of this gear now, with the personal feedback. And I do agree - leather has to be lined and/or reinforced in some way. Guess that's why the highend stuff brings the big bucks.
Muchas Gracias

Back