Opinion Needed

DennisCA

I am looking to add this to my collection:

http://muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/traditions/hawken/traditions-springfield-hawken-rifle-R22208101.php

traditions-springfield-hawken-R22208101.jpg

It looks like (to me) a decent gun for the money:

Your thoughts??
:D

Looks like a cheap copy of Thompson Center Hawken, minus patch box and
double set triggers. Stock looks like hardwood stained. Probably made in Spain.
But in this day and age I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. This is just my
Opinion . Years ago we would have passed on these, but nowadays there is not
a lot to pick from. You probably will be OK with it.

I'd go to a Rendezvous and find one. I'll have to check my books, but I think the more crescent shaped buttplates were in favor for that style.

You could pick up a really nice used TC Hawken for about the same money and have a rifle that would last you for many years of shooting.

rifie

Sometimes you got to go with what the pocket book says.
Cva stopped traditional sidelocks about 10 or 12 years ago, just inlines now.
I heard last year or maybe this year is the last of traditional sidelocks for Thompson center too. Don't have confirmation though
Lyman is about twice the price of Traditions.
And so is Uberti and Pietta.
But one would hope better quality comes along with the price.
As others said, I wouldn't jump on this.
I'd look around, online auctions, local gun shop, want ads, rendezvous, local gunshows. There's a pretty good selection out there. Just look around a little.
Buying local you'd probably even get the chance to shoot it before buying.

I actually had one of those, shot it for groups at 100 yards. It was surprisingly accurate with 385 grain great plains bullets despite its 1:66 twist. Add a musket cap and it will work well with BP substitutes. My only complaint with it was the stock which rapped me on the cheekbone with really heavy loads. But if I wanted a 50 and I could find a good deal on one? I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Its tough to find a new rifle at the price of this one pictured. If you were to hold out for awhile you may come across another brand. Maybe not. We all know there are more reliable models in the market place. Handsomer too. But there also more expensive. Near half as much again more when purchased new. But if you like the Traditions gun at the price you think is reasonable. _"Always better to be shoot' em than be shop' em ." That's my motto._:)

CVA used to call those Frontier Rifles. Very similar to their Hawken without the patch box and with a more authentic rear sight.

A reasonable and good chloice !!!

You could pick up a really nice used TC Hawken for about the same money and have a rifle that would last you for many years of shooting.
Lots of luck with that as TC no longer makes any SideLocks as well as no longer supporting them. The price on used, has gone up as well. These are made in Spain and I have worked on a few, especially installing the double set. Now, you may find used New Englanders and Renegades but it may take you a long time. Might also add that there is no law that says you can't own more than one.. .... ;)

Go for it !!!

Last edited:
I had no idea you could buy a new sub-$300 blackpowder rifle of any kind.

I'd be skeptical of how good the lock internals are heat treated but that's revolver prices for a nice looking rifle.

Steve

You could pick up a really nice used TC Hawken for about the same money...

This is my thoughts as well. Have seen many a used T/C Hawkins in the $250-$350 ballpark around the LGS's. And you get much better sights(adjustable rear) along with double set triggers.

I agree. You can't beat a nice TC Hawken. American made and walnut stock, not the mystery hardwood stuff. I have been shooting my TC Hawken for about thirty-five years. I still think it is a fine piece of equipment, and it has never let me down.:cool:

I own that very same rifle and I gotta tell ya, it's a hella good round baller at the range. Exceptional accuracy and great for a fun day in the sun. If you looking for a range muzzy then it will fit the bill just fine for you. If your looking for a hunting piece then I might hold out for a good used TC Hawken.

My original mindset was to just have fun at the range shooting home cast round balls. No regrets....

straight-shooter: It's meant to be just a range and since I am just getting into, I don't to put a ton of money into something that I am only going to shoot once and a while.

Have fun !!!

Dennis,
Not only is this a good starter, it's a heck of a good choice. One thing about buying SideLocks, it's nearly impossible to stop with just one. I'm happy to say that I only own one MML and at this time, can't tell you how many SideLocks I own. I have been able to afford one custom and three Pedersolis.. :eek:

One suggestion I might make, is to replace the single-stage, with a double. You already have the trigger guard for it. Another option, is to do a trigger job on this single set. Also, there is absolutely no reason why you can't use this one to hunt with, in addition to bench shooting. I'm not talking about high end competition, just having fun. .... :cool:

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

Pahoo, do you happen to have a link to the double trigger set for the Traditions Springfield Hawken ? It's something I've been interested in doing but can't seem to locate the proper trigger set I would need.

You have options

Pahoo, do you happen to have a link to the double trigger set for the Traditions Springfield
On this one, your first pass should be, going to Traditions. Give them a call. I have done a few conversions and pick some up in GB or EBay. They will likely run about $25.00. Fitting is required but it's not all that bad. An option is to do a trigger job on your Single-set. A friend of mine was going bear hunting, in Alaska with a single-set that was really bad. He asked me to look at it and with little effort, got it down to 3.0 lbs. Smooth and nice let-off. as I always shake my head when I see a trigger guard like this, with a single-set. ... :)

Good luck and let us know how you made out.
Be Safe !!!

From what I've read they made this rifle designed for hunting with what they call a "hunting" trigger. That trigger guard what used so one could wear a glove and still pull the trigger. I suppose the purpose is justified but I too like the look and operation of a double set trigger better.

I'll most likely do some polishing in the right places on the trigger first and see if I can be satisfied with it. If not, I'll call up Traditions and get a double set ordered.

Thanks!

Back