Opening Day of Maine Deer Season - 2013

Picher

Yesterday was Residents-Only day, and despite near record high temps, our party saw 10 deer in all. Upon arrival, we saw 4 does on a lawn next to our parking spot.

Our hunting area includes a snowmobile trail over an old county road where I have a permanent blind. At at that location, I only saw one deer, a small buck that jumped onto the old roadbed, about 400 yards down the trail. Light wasn't good due to tree shadows, so by the time I confirmed it was a buck, it was jumping off the road. It was kinda spunky for a deer at 2:00 in the afternoon, with the temperature running about 65*f.

Being retired, I have plenty of time to hunt, so really want to enjoy being out hunting, and will hold out for big buck this year.

PS: I was carrying my favorite deer rifle, a .270 Win, Rem 700 BDL Stainless in a Sendero Stock, using Hornady GMX 130 grain bullets, ahead of 59.5 grains of Reloder 22. (Weight empty is 8.0 lbs.)

Last edited:
Hi! Hunted the Alna,ME area. Our party took 0. Saw plenty of sign. No sign of the rut starting yet. A friend took a nice 9 point,broken tine 10 point, 190 lb Buck this week.I use a Ruger RSI,30-06 and sometimes in .243.Yup,I got two.A man cannot have too many guns.Good hunting this year and hammer a big one.

Back