Opening Day of Bird Season

Hunter Customs

With the opening day of quail and pheasant hunting plus the last day of the early youth deer season it's very busy around my area on the public land, kind of reminds me of Christmas time at Walmart.

There's and endless parade of trucks looking for places to park and a sea of orange moving through the fields and woods on the public land.
However I don't hear a lot of shooting so those hunting must not be doing so well.

There's not much activity on the private owned land even though most of the crops are out.
It will not take long for the birds to move to private land or into the very thick stuff on the public land with the amount of hunting pressure that's on them now.

I recall the years I bird hunted, I hunted mostly private land and after about three weeks into the season would hunt some public land hunting the really thick cover that's hard to get through and would easily limit out on birds.
To do this you needed an open choke shotgun and a really good dog.

I've always wanted to do some quail or pheasant hunting but not very many of them here in North Arkansas. Have done a little bit of dove hunting but hell I just pop them off of t-posts with .22 lr haha.

Those were the days

I recall the years I bird hunted, I hunted mostly private land and after about three weeks into the season would hunt some public land hunting the really thick cover that's hard to get through and would easily limit out on birds.
I also recall such hunts, before all of our Iowa birds, moved to South Dakota. It was common to have birds flush, all around you and sometimes, up between your legs. ... :eek:
You really had to work hard at picking out the roosters, from the hens. The dogs really would get a workout and what a joy it was. ...... :)
Sadly that is in the past as Ethanol put an and to that ...... :mad:

Be Safe !!!

In the mid 1990's I used to hunt quail in Mexico. Permits for guns were a PITA. But due to inefficient agriculture that unintentionally knocked down and left up to 25% of the millet and other crops it was rich with Bob whites and had liberal bag limits. Dove too and occasionally blue rock pigeon.

I miss those days, of course the cartels have screwed that all up.

But I wish we had federal and state programs that would promote leaving a little for game birds for food and habitat. Some kind of tax credit program. I tell you, there were more quail than you could imagine.

I'm going pheasant hunting again tomorrow. I have been really lucky this year but as suggested after a few weeks I always hit that thick area others don't want to be in. When it gets colder and the marshes freeze I like to go through the cattails.

Back