Opening a range...

odugrad

Okay, this may be a really broad question. Maybe too broad. But does anyone know what it would take to open a gun range? I'm thinking indoor, 20+ lanes, a minimum of 25 yds. Other than finding a site, building the range, etc.

I'm just curious what laws, fees, start-up costs one might expect.

Thanks.

The NRA has, I believe, information about starting a range on their web site.

A gun store up-state from me opened a range a few years ago. I remember the owner telling me that the exhaust system required HEPA filters to capture the nasty stuff in the exhaust air. Ventilation air has to be 100 percent exhaust, which means all ventilation air coming in is fresh, outdoor air -- that has to be heated or cooled. That's expensive. The ventilation unit on the roof of the store I'm referring to is about the size of a school bus.

I suspect beyond Federal Laws, there will be State Laws that will vary from state to state. Of Course, cost of buildings and needed construction/modifications will vary with location realty cost and labor rates. Not to mention business license, taxes, zoning laws, building permits and etc.

You might want to visit the local business commerce in the city, town or county along with the Small Business Administration in the local area for intial advice/thoughts. Since it is gun related I suspect you will want to make a visit to the applicable local law enforcement agency in the area of operations.

Better believe there is a lot more to it than these few tidbits.

I would talk to the local building inspector as to what local zoning laws pertaining to an indoor range would be. This IMHO, would be the greatest variable/obstacle in the scenario.

A gun store up-state from me opened a range a few years ago. I remember the owner telling me that the exhaust system required HEPA filters to capture the nasty stuff in the exhaust air. Ventilation air has to be 100 percent exhaust, which means all ventilation air coming in is fresh, outdoor air -- that has to be heated or cooled. That's expensive. The ventilation unit on the roof of the store I'm referring to is about the size of a school bus.

It's possible that local ordinances are driving the system you describe, but from a strictly engineering/health & safety perspective, once the air has been through a HEPA filter system it doesn't need to be exhausted. We're in the process of installing just such a recirculating system in our indoor range to bring down our heating costs (no cooling costs here in NH!), and another range in the area has had a HEPA-filtered recirculating system operating for years, with serum lead level monitoring data from some of their shooters to document its effectiveness. In practice, about 75% of the air is recycled, with the remainder being fresh air from outside.

FlyFish said:
... from a strictly engineering/health & safety perspective, once the air has been through a HEPA filter system it doesn't need to be exhausted.
Come to think of it, you're right. It's possible that I misunderstood what the guy told me. It's also possible that, being a gun store owner and not a mechanical engineer, he didn't fully understand what was then a system entirely new and foreign to him.

That said, it's still an expensive system even if it recirculates 75% of the air. HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Arrestance) systems ain't cheap.

The overarching question is what experience and expertise do you have in running a small business and what is your capitalization to pay for the set up and running it until you see a profit.

Ranges also carry merchandise nowadays, for lots of their income. So you have to be a shop keeper. Do you have a handle on reliable staff? Uncle Cletus and Homer may not cut it. I say this because a big local indoor range started up and was taken down exactly by that. Another well known range owner here told me that they had no idea of a business plan. Their staff was stealing from them and selling in the parking lot - bringing in the law also.

Just raising realistic concerns.

That said, it's still an expensive system even if it recirculates 75% of the air. HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Arrestance) systems ain't cheap.

Indeed. Our range is not particularly large (7 positions on the firing line), and we're looking at right around $30,000 for the HEPA filtration system.

Another option is to go lead-free, frangible ammo only. I drive a long way to go to a lead-free range. The operating and setup costs as well as the liability risks must be significantly less.

TheGunGeek said:
Another option is to go lead-free, frangible ammo only. I drive a long way to go to a lead-free range. The operating and setup costs as well as the liability risks must be significantly less.
Startup cost may be less, but so will the customer base. People don't like to be told what they can and can't shoot, and if there's another range anywhere nearby the shooters will go where they can shoot their normal ammo. IMHO, starting off with a business plan that's guaranteed to drive away 75 percent of your potential customers is not a great business plan.

Some ranges also only allow people to shoot ammo they buy at the range. There are discussions about such ranges on just about every "gun" forum on the Internet. Sure, the owners have their reasons. Whatever reason or rationalization exists, the fact is people complain about those ranges and avoid them as much as possible.

Thanks for the reality check, Glenn. Yes, I've got the staff issue figured out. That's where I'm sitting really pretty. No problems there.

And I definitely won't limit the ammo use to frangible. I know what that's like and it's a pain in the rump for the shooters. I agree, I think you'll more business in the long run when limiting what people can shoot.

I would talk to the local building inspector as to what local zoning laws pertaining to an indoor range would be. This IMHO, would be the greatest variable/obstacle in the scenario.

^^^ This is the best advice. All that other stuff is down the road, and likely incorporated into your building code requirements. You need to find a site that complies with local ordinances and building code requirements first. When you narrow your sites down then you can start to figure what your costs are going to be with the help of a good engineer. Opening an indoor gun range in rural west Texas is going to be a lot different than opening a gun range in Massachusetts.

Besides zoning, insurance and legal issues, like most businesses' its location.

Rapid City (Closest major town) opened one, and besides membership they have an hourly range fee. Their range is packed.

We have one in Newcastle. This area is gun friendly and if one gets out of the city limits, zoning is near non-existent.

Though our range is on city property, we (our club) owns the building. To use our indoor or outdoor range, you pay a yearly $25 membership fee. There is no additional range use. The outdoor range is open every day during daylight hours, the indoor range is open 24/7. You get unlimited access as long as there is no events, such as 4 H training or our Wed. Night Ladies classes.

So what's the problem? We have about 135 Members, yet the indoor range seldom gets used. Weston County (Newcastle) is one of the top money raisers in the country for the Friends of the NRA, and because a large portion of the FNRA money raised stays in the area we get grants for range improvements, Steel targets, etc.

People just don't use our ranges. Even in a huge gun friendly area.

In Rapid City or Gillette, the range would be packed, not here, a commercial range would go broke.

I got a grant to buy $3000 worth of steel targets, Texas Stars, Poppers, etc, Nice targets. Tried to hold matches and I cant get people to show up.

Added to this, there is one other town in our county, Upton. They also have an indoor range, they have the same problem Newcastle does.

I'm the last one to discourage anyone from starting any business. Most of the other roadblocks mention can be over come, but its hard to overcome a lack of customer base. You have to have a market or you end up with a money pit.

About three years ago, I looked into opening an indoor range. It's way easier, cheaper, and faster to buy an existing range, bulldoze or upgrade the range (depending on its age), and then rebuild. The reason is permit and debt service issues. It's way easier and more certain to get permits to upgrade an existing range than to get permits to build a new range.

The permit process costs money. Not only are there direct costs, such as lawyers fees, and application fees, etc, but the largest cost is the debt service payments while the permit process happens. Add in property taxes on the land. Every month that goes by costs money, and the permitting process for an indoor range is not easy.

If the permit is denied, you're stuck with the land and the debt payments and taxes. One way around this is to find a motivated seller who will allow or sell for an option on the land, pending the contingency that permits are approved. That's impossible if the land is good real estate (you can't get prime middle of the city land for a gun range because of the noise).

A modern 20-30 lane range, built to be competitive, will cost about $10,000,000 (in or around a major metro city). If you're thinking that you want to build a cheaper range, don't do it, unless you want to be poor and struggle for the rest of your ownership tenure.

If you want to be professional and business like, and not just do business blindly, and if you want to qualify for financing, you need a feasibility study. You will find that while the average consumer is price sensitive, they are willing to pay for a high quality service. By building a nicer facility that's high quality, you will attract women, younger customers such as millennials (who are surprisingly pro gun and are willing to spend), and families. These are the people who will propel your business to the next level.

The other reason for a higher end range is that the older ranges have less debt service to contend with, so they can always undercut you on price. Old ranges can compete on price, while you, as a new range, with your new mortgage and debt service, can not. So if you build, let's say a low end economical range for $5,000,000, your range will look and feel like the old ranges your area, but you'll be competitively handicapped because you have more debt than all the older ranges who have had the benefit of existing for decades. More debt means you have to price goods and services higher than your competition. Consumers will only pay higher prices for goods and services if you offer a higher quietly experience that counts as added value, but since your range looks and feels like an old range, consumers will not pay you more money for the same item.

If you're thinking that the town/city has no other range, and that you'll be the only range, that's a mistake. You always have to anticipate future competition. That's why you want a high end range. You can compete against the future competition, if it arrives.

The range itself makes no money. It's a loss leader. It attracts shooters and customers who then buy other goods and services. You're in the retail business, like it or not. If you have good sales people, you'll make money. If you and your staff suck at sales, the range time isn't going to cover the bills. You need to monetize everything possible.

If it's your first range, I think it's just easier and less risky to buy an existing range and cut your teeth on it. There are so many advantages to that route. Later, when you have a revenue stream and experience, then build your new range (if you're asking on a forum, then you have no experience). The hard part of this strategy is finding the range to buy, and since for-sale indoor gun ranges aren't common, you might have to move to a part of the country that you don't want to live in. If you're thinking that you don't have to live there, and that your trusted manager will manage it for you, so that you can be an absentee...I say...hahahaha. It's possible to be an absentee owner, but you need to hire an efficient management group. Small business solo gun ranges don't have the margins to hire an elite management group, so you're on your own.

Maybe it's just my limited sampling, but I haven't met any range owners who became multimillionaires on their range ownership. It's not a high margin or highly lucrative business, but it can be successful if done right.

Good luck!

Wow, Machineguntony. That was a well thought out, well explained response. Thank for you that insight. It gives me some things to think about. I'll start doing more research and see what's available.

$10,000,000 for an indoor range seems a bit high, even if you are near a metropolitan area. If you think you are going to be in a high-rent commercial district, think again. Most likely, you will need something like a 15,000sf warehouse in what I call a "C3" district - i.e. warehouse / light industrial. For a newer 15K sf C3 stand alone warehouse in a light industrial area, you might expect to pay ballpark $1,500,000 for the land and the shell. Ordinary buildout might be another $800K. Special equipment etc. - I don't really know, but I'd think no more than $400K.

So, I would think for a functional new range the cost would be about $3M, before inventory, etc. If I were to buy an existing range as a going concern, with no inventory, price would go up to maybe $5M - $6M; again in a warehouse district.

That's just how I'd run some rough numbers - based on Central Florida data. FWIW, a partner and I own two 15,000 sf warehouses that we built for a little over $2.5M several years ago. This includes 2 separate buildings, parking, ten 20x20 central HVAC offices; ten 1-person bathrooms; ten 3,000sf warehouses with 24' ceilings.

Last edited:
When I priced out the construction and completion costs with land basis, it came out to a conservative $10,000,000. That's the price for a high end range. A new high end range is about to open near me, and allegedly, the total project cost was higher than $10,000,000 (according to the range and financing banks' press release) and they're still looking for additional finanacing to add sales inventory.

I find that number to be accurate and even conservative.

That's just how I'd run some rough numbers - based on Central Florida data. FWIW, a partner and I own two 15,000 sf warehouses that we built for a little over $2.5M several years ago. This includes 2 separate buildings, parking, ten 20x20 central HVAC offices; ten 1-person bathrooms; ten 3,000sf warehouses with 24' ceilings

But, I'll bet you didn't bullet-proof walls and ceilings and the HEPA air system either. CMU walls or even tilt-up will still need reinforcing. Depending on location, county permit/fees for driveway cuts on busy streets can get real expensive.

The gun ranges I see that are making money also have an extensive gun rental inventory - one near my mom in SC rents every conceivable full auto weapon, suppressed weapons and several hundred handguns. They charge you a one-time daily fee of $5 to rent as many as you want. They also carry a huge inventory of new and used guns, reloading, cleaning, accessories, etc. The cheap range brings them in, the sales and rentals make the profit - they have just about anything, but I can tell you from being in Supply Chain and Inventory Control, carrying costs can eat your lunch.

Back