opening a choke

slab jockey

does anyone know of any commercially made shotshells which will spread shot as if a larger choke is used? i've heard of things called spred-r (spelling?) wads for those who reload shotshells (which i unfortunately do not) i have a shotgun with a modified choke which seems a bit tight.

thanks y'all

There's a couple other ways to open or tighten a pattern. Trap grade hard shot will tighten up a pattern, soft generic shot as used in most cheapo "Dove" loads will open them.

Higher velocity subjects any shot to more severe stress,and going to a slightly slower load will tighten up the pattern.

Large shot patterns tighter than small shot.

So,if you want more open patterns,load with soft, larger shot and more powder. Cheapo, 3 1/4 dram eq
loads fit.

Federal makes a Skeet load, but you'll have to order it, and it only comes in 9s and 8 1/2s. Both are on the small side for hunting.

Modified is about the best all-'round choke.

What are you shooting at, what ranges & type/load of shot?

Not to be snide, but perhaps it's not the choke/dispersion of shot that's the "problem."

Spreader Loads

I have used Spreader Loads in Sporting Clays where tight chokes are needed at a stand and they occasionally throw a close target. Spreader Loads will open up a full choke to about an IC.

They are available from several makers and from specialty shotshell dealers.They are popular with hunters using tightly choked SXS for upland birds. They do make a mess in the barrel as most do not use a shotcup.

Cheapie field loads often will open up a tight choke as they use softer lead and some still use fiber wadding. Buy some and pattern them.

www.polywad.com
www.fiocchiusa.com

Are two you might want to check out.

Back