Open Top Conversions Caliber?

dalegribble

I want to add an open top conversion. I see they are available in different calibers. A quick look in my are finds the ( I want a big bore) 44 LC but few 45LC. Is there an advantage to the 44LC? Is it safer in the open top conversion? I would like the ammo commonality betwen my cowboy colt clones in 45 LC and Winchester if possible. Should I wait till I find a 45LC, buy the 44LC's I see readily available and why? I think 45 LC ammo is cheaper and more easily found and I already have the dies. What to do?

good question

well personally i like the odd ball stuff,

and i like to stick with being the original to the design as closely as possible.
the 1871-72 open tops were originally chambered for the .44 rimfire cartridge, and very few were made experimentally in centerfires which never made it to the market, though now are worth a fortune.

-i would say in your benefit, yes go with the .45 colt, i know there is a website that sells them in all calibers.
i believe its montana guns.
I would chose the .44 colt just to keep it kinda similar, because the 1860 conversions were converted to take a .44 calibre centerfire cartridge (.44 colt) though like i said the open tops were .44 rimfire.
and in your benefit it would save you money and ease to go with the .45 long Colt.

The 44colt replicas use the same bullet dia. as the 44mag/special so ammo is not that hard to find. It can also be reloaded with a couple tricks on 44mag dies. Dont feel bad about going 45 though, as you mentioned it makes sense plus the original rimfire 44 was a different caliber than todays 44. Good luck

Firstly, there is no .44 "Long" Colt. There is simply the .44Colt. We could argue about the .45"Long" Colt but that's a discussion for another time.

The .44Colt is an authentic chambering for the 1860 cartridge conversions and was the chambering of choice when I bought my Cimarron 1872 Open Top and will be again when I get some 1860 cartridge conversions. Partly because it's authentic and partly just because it's different. Though the originals used an outside lubed, hollow-based, heeled bullet and the current offerings use a standard .429"-.431" .44Mag bullet. As was noted, the 1872 Open Top, which was not a conversion but rather Colt's first purpose-built cartridge gun, was strictly .44 rimfire. However, if you wish to stay compatible with what you already have, there's nothing wrong with the .45Colt. They increased cylinder girth to work with the bigger cartridge but probably not enough to affect handling. If it is even noticeable. If you're into such things, it will be tons of fun to shoot. I'd also recommend Dennis Adler's excellent book "Metallic Cartridge Conversions".

Back