Open sights

Deerhunter1

Inactive
Let me know if I should post this some other place. Here is my question, whenever I shoot with open sights, no mater the gun, pistol, rifle, flintlock whatever. With open sights I shoot far right. Always with every gun. All of the rear sights on all my guns without scopes, the rear sight is almost as far left as it can go. Can someone tell me why ? Thank you

Hold the gun and aim at something with both eyes open, align the sights. Close your right eye. If the sight picture is identical, you're left eye dominant, and vice versa.

When shooting, align your dominant eye with the sights and your hand. I'm a right hand / left eye guy, so I have to cant my head when shooting onehanded, and it works just fine.

You are either pulling with your right hand or pushing the trigger to the right. Or flinching.

Mwal

"...no matter the gun, pistol, rifle, flintlock, whatever..." It's something in how you hold the firearm(s). Most likely you're canting to the right. A scope has the vertical cross hair that keeps you from doing it. You may not be focusing on the front sight like you should be either.
Any of your irons have the white outline or dots?

Kind of odd to be canting everything, but there are small, inexpensive, levels(Home Hardware has a 9" for $6.99.) a buddy can put on if there's a decent flat spot on the firearm. Not all firearms have one.
And pay attention to the dots/lines. You should be able to tell by eye.

I think you're jerking the trigger, flinching in anticipation of recoil. I am right handed and had the problem shooting left until I learned better. It can also be partly your finger placement on the trigger.

A friend had the same problem..........the fix for him for a rifle: was to remove the open "V' type rear sight and change it to a peep sight. Best I could tell he cantered the rear sight and it through him off. With the peep (weaver I think) he only had to worry about the front sight and forget the rear?
For handguns he went with a red dot!
*All I know is it worked for him extremely well, as his shooting increase well beyond what it was? :cool:

Back