Open Sights for Handgun Silhouette?

Chris W

I've been out shooting the 6" S&W 617 which I bought on this board, and first, I should say I'm just more and more impressed with this gun (and its sister, my 686). The range I recently joined has monthly silhouette shoots, including a class for small bore open sight 'hunter' pistols. Now, I'm not interested in going whole hog into equipment--partly because I know the 617 is going to shoot better than I can for a good long while yet, probably forever. But some experimentation with the practice silhouette targets at the club makes me think I could at least shoot it well enough to have fun as is--almost. The present sights are factory S&W with a big black patridge blade on the front; and that blade just looms awfully large when I'm trying to eyeball those rams away-out-there.

So my question: What kind of open sights to people use to shoot smallbore handgun silhouette? If I'm just whining, feel free to let me know ;) . But it seems to me like something a little narrower might be a bit more precise. Any suggestions deeply apprectiated, and Thanks!

CW

Personally think that the best sihlouette sights are made by "Iron Sight Gun Works" They make a fantastic sight that is realyl adjustable. Do a google search for them.

Jeeper,

Thanks for the pointer. I haven't found a web-presence for these folks as yet. The only place I can come up with their name is on the Freedom Arms pricelist; I presume you own one of these gem-encrusted revolvers? Wow, they must really be something. Anyway, I'll keep looking and thanks again for the reply.

CW

Many thanks for the followup, Jeeper. I'll give them a call; I was at the range again this morning and found again that a slightly more adjustable sight would be an advantage. But even with my low percentages, silhouette is a kick in the pants!

CW

Back