Open Letter to H&R

Salt

The litigation strategy of the anti-gunners has been thrown out of the courts and it is now safe again to produce handguns.

So please return to making the quality top break revolvers. The .22 caliber 999 Sportsman and the top break snubby M925 in .38 S&W are the guns that really stand out.

BTW, How about a new medium size 4" to 6" top break revolver in .38 S&W and a large frame top break revolver in either .45 S&W or .455 Webley?

Last edited:
Instead of the .455, howsabout .45 Auto w/ fullmoons, or Autorims? Easier to find ammo, and all that.

And not .38 Short & Weak, .38 Specials? Modern steel oughta withstand +P's...

IIRC their stated reason for dropping production was the economcs of shipping. There wasn't enough profit in a $150 pistol that has to be shipped under the same rules as a $450 one. Until something changes and they can make more money than the carrier, I don't expect the bottom end of the market to improve any.

Tom

I hope that H&R will make a $450 gun. I like the top-breaks and would like to have them in made in top quality.

H&R was the last American company to make a top break revolver. I hope they start again soon.

It would be good to see them make something like the .455 Webley revolver for a full size service revolver and a bulldog version too.

Perhaps a large top break frame revolver with 4" barrel chambered in .45acp would be competitive for IDPA.

I think H&R could become synonymous with quality break top revolvers if they want to.

That H&R had enough clout to bring out its own name brand cartridge (.32 H&R mag) and make it semi-successful means that it could revive a classic cartridge like the .455 Webley.

Starline is making brass for the .45 S&W due to popularity of the S&W Schofield in CAS. So that is another option worth considering.

A sure bet for H&R would be to produce a top break pocket revolver (chambered .38 S&W, .32 S&W, or .32 S&W Long cartridges) for the side matches in Cowboy Action Shooting. This gun should have 19th century look and feel.

Hey, I'm for It.

I've long said I'd love to see a Webley MK IV reintroduced, with modern steels and modern springs, either in traditional or streamlined trim. I'd even want it with interchangable cylinders - - .455 and .45 ACP/Auto Rim. I think it would KICK TAIL in revolver matches, especially on reloads. Just think: Shooting hand thumbs the latch forward. Flip of the wrist ejects all empties while weak hand goes for a full-moon. Single thrust into the wide-open, vertical cylinder, flip up the front half and back on target. SWUFT!

Best,
Johnny

Back