Open Carry Question in AZ

striker3

Me and some family members were talking about the open carry laws here in AZ and came across a point that we disagreed on and was wondering if someone could clear it up for us. Can you carry a round in the chamber when carrying openly?

striker3, I'm not an attorney, but I've never heard a word requiring essentially unloaded open carry. Whether it is concealed or open, even our legislature understands that firearms don't work very well without bullets! ;)

If you want to make absolutely sure, I would suggest you buy and peruse a copy of 'The Arizona Gun Owner's Guide' - please see http://www.bloomfieldpress.com/agog.htm .

I never heard a peep about it not being legal, so do so all the time, open or concealed.

------------------
John/az

"Just because something is popular, does not make it right."

Of course you can.
Okay, I am not a lwayer, so this is only my experience from carrying openly many years in AZ. I have had cops stop me and run the numbers on my gun to check if it was stolen, and they never minded the one in the chamber. Never had a cop stop and ask me if my gun was loaded. and in my CCW class they never mentioned it, and even enlightened me that it IS legal to carry a gun into a bank, (which I did not know). But you can never carry a gun onto federal property. Hm, sounds a little facist.

thaddeus

Thank you for your answers to my question. I had thought...well hoped...that our government wouldn't be stupid enough to make a pistol virtually useless for a slef defense role. Two family members had told me that they had been stopped before, one with an unloaded pistol and the cop asked them if he could check it to make sure it was unloaded, the other had an AK-22 with the mag in it and was removed from his car at gunpoint. Maybe just a rookie cop's mistake.

Unless I am mistaken, AZ is one of the few states that allows a chambered round. If memory serves, it is covered under game and fish laws. Heck, CA and WA won't even allow shells in the magazine. I think in CA it's a felony, but we all know about the Peoples Republic of Kalifunya don't we?
Paul B.

COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!

In Calif, unless you have a CCW (fat chance) its illegal to transport a loaded gun. Further, the ammo and the gun have to be stored in separate areas of the vehicle...ex: gun in passenger compartment and ammo in the trunk.
Although, I haven't heard or read that a magazine must be empty, just separate from the gun. However, give it time...Peralta is trying to get magazine requiring guns banned.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Another AZ open carry question for those in the know:

Does the legality of open carry apply to non-residents also? ...can I carry my revolver while vacationing in AZ? And, if I can, I assume I can carry it loaded, too?

Thanks!

BAB

If you are physically in borders of the state, you may carry openly, in MOST places. Check out the laws on the www.NRA.org site concerning where it is permitted and where it is not.

------------------
John/az

"Just because something is popular, does not make it right."

Back