Open carry legality Illinois

junglebob

Going to the opencarry.org site I find that they say that open carry is legal in rural unincorporated areas of Illinois if not prohibited by local ordinance and while not in a vehicle.

I've looked at the Illinois statutes 720 ILCS 5 and this seems to be so. However I have seen the statement that open carry is legal while hunting on another website. I see no mention of the necessity of hunting while open carrying in a rural unincorporated area. Is this just typical Illinois disinformation concerning gun laws? If there is a requirement to be hunting, can someone show me where it is. Don't bother telling me that the local sheriffs department says it is department policy to arrest anyone open carrying. Also don't tell me about Chicago ordinances I'm over 300 miles from there!

Read ALL of the below. The Hunting/Fishing section is an exception to the first requirements, not a requirement for open carry in unicorporated areas.

ARTICLE 24. DEADLY WEAPONS
(720 ILCS 5/24‑2) (from Ch. 38, par. 24‑2)
Sec. 24‑2. Exemptions.
(b) Subsections 24‑1(a)(4) and 24‑1(a)(10) and Section 24‑1.6 do not apply to or affect any of the following:
(3) Hunters, trappers or fishermen with a license or
permit while engaged in hunting, trapping or fishing.

(720 ILCS 5/24‑1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24‑1)
Sec. 24‑1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed
on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
(i) are broken down in a non‑functioning state;
or
(ii) are not immediately accessible; or
(iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,
firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card;

(10) Carries or possesses on or about his person,
upon any public street, alley, or other public lands within the corporate limits of a city, village or incorporated town, except when an invitee thereon or therein, for the purpose of the display of such weapon or the lawful commerce in weapons, or except when on his land or in his own abode or fixed place of business, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (10) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
(i) are broken down in a non‑functioning state;
or
(ii) are not immediately accessible; or
(iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,
firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card.

(720 ILCS 5/24‑1.6)
Sec. 24‑1.6. Aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.
(a) A person commits the offense of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon when he or she knowingly:
(1) Carries on or about his or her person or in any
vehicle or concealed on or about his or her person except when on his or her land or in his or her abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm; or
(2) Carries or possesses on or about his or her
person, upon any public street, alley, or other public lands within the corporate limits of a city, village or incorporated town, except when an invitee thereon or therein, for the purpose of the display of such weapon or the lawful commerce in weapons, or except when on his or her own land or in his or her own abode or fixed place of business, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm; and
(3) One of the following factors is present:
(A) the firearm possessed was uncased, loaded
and immediately accessible at the time of the offense; or
(B) the firearm possessed was uncased, unloaded
and the ammunition for the weapon was immediately accessible at the time of the offense; or
(C) the person possessing the firearm has not
been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card; or
(D) the person possessing the weapon was
previously adjudicated a delinquent minor under the Juvenile Court Act of 1987 for an act that if committed by an adult would be a felony; or
(E) the person possessing the weapon was engaged
in a misdemeanor violation of the Cannabis Control Act, in a misdemeanor violation of the Illinois Controlled Substances Act, or in a misdemeanor violation of the Methamphetamine Control and Community Protection Act; or
(F) the person possessing the weapon is a member
of a street gang or is engaged in street gang related activity, as defined in Section 10 of the Illinois Streetgang Terrorism Omnibus Prevention Act; or
(G) the person possessing the weapon had a order
of protection issued against him or her within the previous 2 years; or
(H) the person possessing the weapon was engaged
in the commission or attempted commission of a misdemeanor involving the use or threat of violence against the person or property of another; or
(I) the person possessing the weapon was under
21 years of age and in possession of a handgun as defined in Section 24‑3, unless the person under 21 is engaged in lawful activities under the Wildlife Code or described in subsection 24‑2(b)(1), (b)(3), or 24‑2(f).

Are you saying that a person could carry a loaded firearm inside a cities corporate limits if hunting and conceal carry a weapon if hunting? I don't imagine you can hunt in the corporate limits of many cities, but I guess you might walk through them while hunting. Maybe hunting around a cities water reservoir might be frequently allowed. So in that case you could open carry a handgun there while hunting but could not if you weren't.

Back