Open Carry Laws

Shrike9

I have been trying to find information on open carry on the net and so far have found nothing, zip, nada. Does anybody know where I can find out information on where it is legal for open carry and where it is not? the NRA's web site does not have anything about open cary either.

Arizona is open carry...beyond that I don't know. There are plenty of Arizona boys here, they may know more

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Shrike9, first do a search for 'open carry' in TFL. You'll find a few threads. Then, if you're willing, tell us what locations you're interested in. That will trigger more responses, and more pertinent responses.

As I recall, open carry in California is simply illegal. In Arizona, as DC noted, generally no problem from a legal standpoint - I almost always do it if I'm going camping. Easier in rural areas than urban from a practical standpoint, and my friend John can give you more on that score.

It's for several states, Neb, Iowa, Wy, Co, Ut, NV and New Mexico. We visit all these states on a regular basis and I'd like to be as legal as possible when travelling/camping/fishing/and off roading

This is the best source I find:

http://www.nraila.org/research/riflaws.html

But, I think you'll want more info - I see your point about no specific discussion re: open carry. Generally, in the West, I think you'll find open carry on your person isn't usually an issue. OTOH, I know New Mexico is a little kinky. And, carry in a vehicle seems to be all over the board. If it were me, I'd study the NRA synopses, and then research each state's web site. Find a phone number for their state police and call. Also, find out if state law preempts local firearms laws. Try to get a copy of their pertinent laws off the web or in hard copy, and carry it with you.

I'm not an expert, so this is just my best guess. We'll probably hear from some better sources.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited June 19, 1999).]

Open carry is legal anywhere "on the net."

[This message has been edited by deanf (edited June 19, 1999).]

Don't forget to check with the locals--they may have thier own seperate laws, different from the state.

Deanf,

GAD! It was too early in the morning when I read your reply, and just now I get it! LOL!!

smile.gif
smile.gif

Shrike9,
I don't know about any of the others, but in Neb. it is generally legal to carry openly. As far as the camping, hunting, fishing, some of the smaller public areas or popular areas do not allow handguns or rifles. There are also of course the usual restrictions (gov.buildings, schools, etc), and I am pretty sure that the city of Omaha has some local laws against it.
B
p.s. If you travel I-80 it would probably be wise to keep any weapons cased and secured out of sight, law enforcement is always on the lookout for drug transporters (some very large busts as these idiots speed across this wasteland) and the sight of a firearm if stopped for anything might just earn you several hours of standing on the side of the road while they take a dog through your vehicle and search everything.

[This message has been edited by bergie (edited June 20, 1999).]

Back