Ooops!

Uncle Rick

Inactive
When loading my first Speer 158 gr JHP into a .357 magnum case, I neglected to notice that the die in the press was one that expands the mouth for the bullet. OK, it was quite late and it had been a long day. The result was that the bullet was seated rather deeply, and I'm sure the powder charge -- 15 grains of H110 -- got compressed. My question is:

Will that cartridge be safe to shoot in my Marlin 1894?

I don't think anyone will tell you to go and shoot them. The compressed h110 doesn't worry me, it's the setback that is concerning.

What you COULD do, if you feel the powder charge is safe, is use a kinetic puller to not COMPLETELY pull the bullet, but pull it enough that you can reseat the bullet. Or just pull it, dump the powder and start again

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Agreed, use the hammer type puller to get the bullet to a semi normal seating depth.

Good deal. I do that fairly regularly. I could not get precision match seater for my 6.5 so I took what I could get. I overshoot sometimes for what I am after. Get the Kinetic out and "adjust" it.

One caveat on the Kinetic. They are almost indestructible if you hit a FLAT hard surface.

I did it on a pipe once, shattered. Too much force concentration.

I would also not do it on a curved rock etc.

It is also best is the surface is hard. Some folks smack them on a piece of hardwood, which works, but you have to pound a lot less hard if you strike a piece of steel plate.

Just pull it down and reload it, I wouldn’t mess around. As far as a kinetic bullet puller, I’d suggest the RCBS version. I’ve used a few of the type made with the metal handle attached to the plastic head and they all broke. Then I got the all plastic version made by RCBS and it’s held up much better. I believe from how it feels that due to its design the RCBS version seems to take a more gentle whack to dislodge the bullet compared to the other types so it just stands up better to the pounding. Plus you get their great warranty and renowned customer service.

Uncle Rick, by coincidence, I did this very thing the other night. Bullet seated completely inside the case; my kinetic puller didn't budge it so I had to scrap the bullet.

I was in mourning for that primer until I realized I could still push it out of the end of the case after cutting the cartridge in half.:)

Back