Online gun sales to California

tighty whitey

I am about to post a gun for sale on a gun auction site and since the gun, a Ruger P95PR, Steel, Polymer, 9mm, has been in existence many years I thought that I'd simply visit the State of California's approved list and see if I could invite more people to the auction and not include the nearly obligatory, NO SALES TO KALIFORNIA!! in my add.

Lo and behold the approve list provides the barrel length of this model as 3.9" whereas my manuel say that the barrell length is 4.1". Talk about a chilling effect. My feet went cold and if you heard someone say, "SCREW IT", then you now know who was yelling.

To all the good people in California, my prayers are with you and I hope that you can elect people that aren't out to regulate away your rights under the Second Amendment.

I won't open my auction to someone in California, would you?

Your choice, and its hard to know every state's laws to be able to sell there, so i understand you choice. But on the flip side you should know your losing a lot of business that way, CA is a big place with a LOT of people.

Ive gotten to the point wanting to bid on something only to read "no CA sales," then the auction ends for a bit less than i was willing to pay. Oh well :rolleyes:

It has to go through an FFL in CA for long guns. You might actually be able to sell it, and then ship to the FFL of choice IF it is a long gun.

It is my understanding as a CA resident that you cannot buy out of state handguns and take possesion of them. So for your 9mm, no I believe it is ILLEGAL to sell it online, out of state to someone who is a resident of CA. I believe it is a felony for both buyer and seller. Most FFLs won't deal with out of state handgun sales in my experience, so not much luck in trying to sell to CA online no matter how you shake the stick at it.

Last edited:
Alaska444 said:
...It is my understanding as a CA resident that you cannot buy out of state handguns and take possesion of them. So for your 9mm, no I believe it is ILLEGAL to sell it online, out of state to someone who is a resident of CA. I believe it is a felony for both buyer and seller. Most FFLs won't deal with out of state handgun sales in my experience, so not much luck in trying to sell to CA online no matter how you shake the stick at it.
Not true at all. I've legally purchased a number of handguns on GunsAmerica and GunBroker.

[1] As with any handgun transfer across state lines, the handgun must be delivered through an FFL in the transferee's state of residence.

[2] In the case of the transferee being a California resident, the handgun must be on the California Roster of Approved Handguns or exempt (certain single action revolvers, certain single shot pistols and handguns made more than 50 years ago).

[3] The transferor FFL must verify the transferee FFL through a California system.

So it can be legally done. However, it is enough of a hassle that I can't really blame anyone for not wanting to bother.

Originally Posted by Alaska444
...It is my understanding as a CA resident that you cannot buy out of state handguns and take possesion of them. So for your 9mm, no I believe it is ILLEGAL to sell it online, out of state to someone who is a resident of CA. I believe it is a felony for both buyer and seller. Most FFLs won't deal with out of state handgun sales in my experience, so not much luck in trying to sell to CA online no matter how you shake the stick at it.

Not true at all. I've legally purchased a number of handguns on GunsAmerica and GunBroker.

[1] As with any handgun transfer across state lines, the handgun must be delivered through an FFL in the transferee's state of residence.

[2] In the case of the transferee being a California resident, the handgun must be on the California Roster of Approved Handguns or exempt (certain single action revolvers, certain single shot pistols and handguns made more than 50 years ago).

[3] The transferor FFL must verify the transferee FFL through a California system.

So it can be legally done. However, it is enough of a hassle that I can't really blame anyone for not wanting to bother.

Sorry, I should have said DIRECTLY between buyer and seller without going through an FFL. My point is that it is very hard to find an FFL that will deal with out of state handguns in my experience. Hard enough to do so with long guns, once again, in my experience. And if you do find one that will do it, it will cost you dearly for that privilege.

Thank you for the clarification.

fiddletown: ....it is enough of a hassle that I can't really blame anyone for not wanting to bother.

It takes less than five minutes for a licensed dealer to register with CDOJ. All you do is type in your FFL # and PRESTO!!! you're registered.

Each firearm shipment to California takes me an extra ONE MINUTE to get a CFLC transaction number. A small price to pay to get guns behind enemy lines. It's one of my favorite ways to give the finger to the antigunners.

Any dealer who uses "it's a hassle" as an excuse is an embarrassment to the cause of Second Amendment rights. By refusing to ship firearms to California, who are you really making happy?

Alaska444 said:
...My point is that it is very hard to find an FFL that will deal with out of state handguns in my experience. ...And if you do find one that will do it, it will cost you dearly for that privilege...
I haven't found it all that hard, nor has it cost me any kind of premium.

dogtown tom said:
...Each firearm shipment to California takes me an extra ONE MINUTE to get a CFLC transaction number. A small price to pay to get guns behind enemy lines. It's one of my favorite ways to give the finger to the antigunners.

Any dealer who uses "it's a hassle" as an excuse is an embarrassment to the cause of Second Amendment rights. By refusing to ship firearms to California, who are you really making happy?
I do appreciate your willingness to ship to California. In general, however, I tend not to bother getting worked up about how other folks want to run their businesses, even if that involves not shipping to California, as long as they're not jerks about it.

I haven't found it all that hard, nor has it cost me any kind of premium.

I see you are from Northern CA, I live in LA county. Perhaps that explains my experience differing from yours.

Thank you,

Despite the rumors online gun sales to California CAN still be made.California requires that all transfers to the state be shipped to an FFL dealer that appears in their Data base. The out of state seller required to register in the CFLC program.What this does is generate a State of California firearm transfer number for that firearm. This number is required by California FFL for Transfer to buyer. If the Receiving FFL is not in the data base a Do not ship letter will be issued. The best way to insure that you will get the Firearm that you ordered is to be sure that your receiving FFL is in the California data base. If a Do not ship is issued you will have to find a dealer who is. This will delay the transfer of your purchase. Plus the firearm must be on California Roster of handguns Certified for sale in California.

I hope this helps .

Roster of Handguns Certified for Salehttp://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

It seems the real issue here is that the CADOJ lists the firearm with a 3.9" barrel, and the seller's pistol has a 4.1" barrel. Since the CADOJ listing is VERY specific, right down to the finish (if they list a model only in blue, you can't buy the same gun in stainless), I don't fault the OP for hesitating about offering the pistol in CA.

I wouldn't.

The approved list only applies to new gun sales not private party used sales, but I'm not sure how it applies to an out of state transfer, I don't think it makes a difference. Does anyone know for sure?

Marred said:
Just went to the DOJ website and it answered my question, private party is exempt from the approved list.

A transfer from out of State to California is not considered a private party transfer in California. It is still a dealer transfer. A private party sale in California requires that both parties be physically present at the transfer dealer.

A handgun transferred from out of State must be on the approved list unless it is a C&R handgun, which is exempt from the list.

Back