Online Firearms dealers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that in some parts of the country, quality firearms are hard to come by and sometimes those prices are just out of this world. Always have felt that part of the buying experience is to go to your local gun store, feel, hold and compare different makes and models. Pick the dealer's brain and get some quality advice. Make a buying decision, pay for the firearm and go home to ogle over your new found love. That entire expirience cost money and should be paid for. It is disengeneous to go to a dealer, waste his time and go online to buy a firearm. Inventory on hand cost these guys money.

What's up with this buying guns online just to save a few bucks? (if you have a quality dealer to work with locally, online guns are actually more expensive!) Is it really that much cheaper to shop online for a firearm when you add shipping and FFL transfer fees? Or is the online experience as much of a joy than doing business in person?

Robert

Robert, right you are! If you have a good local dealer, pay the dang sales tax! I live in Twin Falls, ID. Most of our dealers are pawn shops. Some will even order for you at 10% over cost. The question is, what is the true cost and value of a particular firearm? Should I pay $550 for a Glock 19 or $450? One needs to compare prices.

Locally, I bought a Model 28 S&W .357 in a pawn shop for $275 in 95+% condition. Is it too much? Probably, but how would I know?

We have a local sporting goods store that is known to mark things up OVER retail! For me, finding online dealers with listed prices is for comparison shopping.

With the new bogus UPS scam of requiring overnight shipping, you can now add $25 or so dollars for shipping a handgun. That makes online shopping less attractive. The benefit is where Dealer A has the product and your hometown dealer does not.

i dont know if you guys have read the post "badmouthing gun dealers" or not, but you may want to check it out. i have had a very bad experience buying online. I would have paid the extra money to purchase locally. In my case it wasnt worth it. In some cases it is. I guess you have to look at all the options and see whats best for you.

Good luck, let us know which way you go.

------------------
TIM : )

Robert, I agree. But I do exactly the opposite. The online stores are great to get an idea of what is out there. Especially for those new to guns, like me. One you narrow the selection down to the guns you'd be willing to look at, go down to your favorate gun shop, handle a few, ask some questions, and make a purchase. I find there is a great deal more information online (in general) than at your local gun shop. That's at least true here in California.

I would have to say that I bought my first gun a Sig P220 online through discount-guns. The URL is listed above. I was treated as if I was a thorn in their side. They were totally unorganized throughout the whole process. I would call and check on the status of the shipment, and they told me yeah its been shipped, when in fact it hadn't. They also had enough nerve to tell me "....hey did you call us on our toll-free line?" When I replied that I had called them toll free, the guy on the phone said "....this phone call is eating into our profits!" When it finally arrived at my FFL, one of the latches on the case was missing. While I did save probably $80 after transfer fee, shipping, etc when compared to local prices + tax, I WON'T be doing business with THEM again. The gun is great, but their attitude left much to be desired. I wouldn't hesitate to buy online again from someone with a solid reputation if I could save at least $75 or so. This was my experience, YMMV.

If the dealer has to order something that we all would consider bread and butter, they stink. Big time! That is a store that is just limping along, not committed to the sport or you. Bottom line, they did not earn you business. I understand that some stores in the boonies are not going to have inventories and they will just have to compete with online stores.
Must be really fortunate to have a awesome dealer close by that has just about every gun known to man and at prices that you just can't say no. Every time I have gone online browsing for gun, I just see no savings.

Robert

Greetings To All; I made my first handgun
purchase from the web only a few weeks ago.
I found that the dealer, Mr. Karl Morgan of
Mount Vernon Gun & Coin was not only very
courteous, but was also very helpful. We
ended up doing business, as usual. He may
be located at Mount Vernon Gun & Coin in
Mount Vernon, IL.

------------------
Ala Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back