Online CCW courses

RoyalWe

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but has anyone had experience with these online CCW courses? My wife and I just moved to Oregon so we need ccw permits here. She found a promo for an online course where basically one of us would get the course for free, however I'm wondering about the legitimacy of it all. I don't want to pay for some course that won't be recognized by the state and then have to pay for another course. Any help would be appreciated.

I took an online course to get my Virginia permit. I paid $19.95, it took me about 10 minutes and it allowed me to check the box and get my permit. I had to take a 4 hour course for the Utah permit application and it was far more useful but it cost me $75. You can get a Va. permit with the easy online course but some states requires a real course. I don't know what is required in Oregon but I think a real course if far more beneficial.

It is legitimate.

The wording of the Oregon law says you must take a class, taught by an NRA certified instructor, of which firearms safety is a component.

That's all it takes to satisfy the legal requirement to get a permit in Oregon, and yes, it can be done online.

So if all you're worried about is jumping through the paperwork hoops, you're good to go.

On the other hand, if you'd like to know how to save your own life and want to be prepared to use the firearm as an effective and reliable tool (instead of as a visual aid for the victim selection process), you want a real class, taught in person, that covers a helluva lot more than that.

pax

"Where'd that guy learn to drive -- correspondence school???!" -- my grandpa, cut off in traffic

You'd think

You'd think the requirements would be a bit more stringent. But if it works it works. I'm not trying to shirk the hands on training, however all the in person classes I've seen in the next month are filled up. Also, it's not as it my wife and I are new to carrying. This way, we get the permits and take further in person range courses when there are available slots. There's actually a really well reputed firearms school in town that has some great hand gun courses (as far as I can tell by the outlined curriculum) that I'm anxious to get into.

I live in Illinois which requires 16 hours total classroom instruction including shooting qualification, $150 for a 3 year permit, and a valid Firearms Owners Identification Card. The required material, especially regarding the laws regarding when lethal force is justified is important. There is no testing to verify understanding though and passing the shooting requirement requires one to know very little about shooting. My theory is that Illinois is more concerned about making it as difficult and expensive as the law allows than anything else. My point is that we are at the opposite extreme from Oregon, but I am not sure what we do is any more effective than a 4 hour online course.

I wish

I wish it was as simple as going into the sheriffs office, take paper test over the laws and basic firearm safety knowledge followed by a firearms competency test that would include demonstrating how you intend to carry and make sure people know how to operate their safety and safely clear a firearm. And then you'd walk out with your license. The only examples I've heard of where someone ND's is because they couldn't properly clear their weapon or they carried it in a manner that was bound to cause trouble, such as tucked in their pants or in a purse rattling around.

In my opinion there is just NO WAY one can learn to handle a gun online without hands on. Someone has to show you what to do and monitor how well you do it. I have taught many basic pistol courses and find that students need repetition and demonstration. Repeated reminders.

I don't care how high your IQ is, no one will recognize his/her own mistakes without someone else more experienced to watch and point out errors.

I really don't think any state is interested in teaching proper gun use in a concealed carry course, based on the proficiency requirements of Illinois. They want to make sure you have ostensibly been trained in the requirements and restrictions of the law, and have a basic understanding of the 4 rules of firearms safety. We all know that just really doesn't scratch the surface of what a person needs to know, but the other side of the argument is some government lackey overseeing the training program and setting standards that Rob Pincus couldn't meet.

If you know how to shoot, CCW, etc yea take the online course just to pass the test and learn the laws. If you were new to shooting though I would recommend a face to face course.

Back