Online ammo question

Spats McGee

Administrator
I am looking into buying some ammo online, and I found a good deal on some .22lr by the case. Naturally, I told a couple of buddies about it and they're thinking of getting in on this action. Here's my question, and I hope I don't sound like my tinfoil hat is too tight: Should I be concerned about ordering several (3-5) cases of .22lr ammo at once? There are no restrictions on it under Arkansas law, I have not seen any federal restrictions, and nothing on th BATFE website indicates that it's a problem. (I mention this just so that you know I've tried to do my homework.) Are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

Last edited:
No, no reason to be concerned. The only thing to keep in mind is that ammo is HEAVY, and shipping costs are based on weight. I've had some really good deals on ammo that I've bought online from places not far away. However, when I did the math, I realized it saved me no money over buying locally. (example: I bought 3 cases of shotshell game loads from Midway USA at a good price, and they're only 100 miles away. However, I could have bought Winchester AA from Walmart for the same price once shipping was handled.)

As for quantity, though, no, there's nothing to be concerned about (Arkansas isn't one of the paranoid states like CA). Some guys buy ammo by the pallet load.

You're right about that. I've been taking the shipping into account, and it often does work out just as cheap to buy locally.

Are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of?
There are two minor ones...

1) Most online retailers will require a copy of your state-issued photo ID so they'll have a record that you're 18 or over.

2) Federal law says that a FFL (and most online retailers are FFLs) may not sell ammunition for a handgun to someone under 21. However, the law is written in such a way that the critical factor is what type of firearm the ammo will be used in, not what cartridge it is. For instance, .357Mag is OK if it's going to be used in a Marlin 1894 rifle, but it's not OK for a S&W M686 revolver. (IMHO it's really a very stupid law, but I digress. :rolleyes: ) Some FFLs will not sell dual-use cartridges like .22LR to 18-20 year olds, but they only do this to cover their butts and/or avoid having to explain the subtleties of the law to low-paid sales clerks. :rolleyes: If you're 18-20, you might run into a retailer that won't sell to you, but I have a hunch that most online retailers will do it.

I don't mind sending them a copy of my ID. I am well over 21, as are all of my buddies that are thinking about this order. None of them are prohibited persons, either, so that's not a concern. I do have some concern that if I order 20K rounds, I'll either end up on a list somewhere or have BATFE knocking on my door. . .

Should be no problem from a legal standpoint. If you want a pallet load, though, the freight company might want some ID and a signature on a legal form as well as the delivery forms, but probably not.

BATFE won't have a reason to be concerned unless you are selling it, but just a group of buddies sharing the expense, no big deal.

My only gripe is UPS leaves the box sitting at my front door where anyone can steal it. I guess I could request signature required but that's almost as bad, since I'm never home and would have to drive to UPS depot for pickup. My UPS driver will leave the box inside my storm door if he can however.

I have only had 1 vendor ask for my driver's license. Many vendors just ask you to check a box saying you're over 21 in my experience

YMMV

Back