One ugly duckling, Bolt shotgun?

Karsten

Humm, this is a sad looking gun :( A bolt acion 2 round 20 gauge:confused:
Says O.F. Mossberg & Son
New Haven, Conn. USA
185 D20 GA.-2 3/4in. proof tested

Now this has a 2 round box mag and screw on choke thing in two sizes...this is by far the ugliest shot gun I have seen.

What the heck is it and what the heck do I do with it with a big ole cracked stock :confused:

Thanks

Karsten

I took the big 9 point over the fireplace with the 12 ga version of that ugly shotgun. It looked a lot prettier after that.

The Mossberg bolt actions leave a lot to be desired in the looks dept, but they do work well.
Great slug guns, which is why few are seen on the market....

I believe Mossy may still have stocks for that, or Gun Parts Corp.

Karsten, the Mossberg Model 185D was made from 1947-1971. The Model 185 was a part of a series of utilitarian grade bolt action shotguns:

83/183 - .410 bore
85/185 - 20 gauge
190 - 16 gauge
200 - 12 gauge

The 'D' suffix indicated interchangeable choke tubes (F, M, IC). With a 'K' suffix the shotgun would have bee equipped with the 'C-Lect' choke.

Today in excellent condition a Mossberg Model 185D could be worth about $100-$125. Gun Parts Corporation does list a replacement stock, item #704370, at $59.95 each. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

Tnanks all, I think for the time being I will just put it away but it sure is a strange looking critter :rolleyes:

Karsten

When sensop gets his pictures posted, you'll see one choice you could take for your Mossy. Mine is a 12...

I have the 195K in a 12g and I absolutley love that gun. I have taken a lot of birds with that old pig. I don't know where the gun originated from, but my dad acquired it from his brother over well 25 years ago. I know that he had gotten it while still in high school, and that would have been in the mid to late '60's. My dad got tired of it due to its weight, weighs about 8-9 pounds I think, and once he handed it off to me, I've never given it up. Of all the shotguns I have fired, this one is by far my favourite. It is easy to clean, no messing around to change choke tubes and once you get the hang of the bolt you can let off 3 rounds almost as fast as a pump. I have also found the recoil on this gun is quite less then all the other shotguns I have fired, so far. If I ever come across another one os these I would probably buy it in an instant.

Last edited:
Back