One thing lead to another......

okiefarmer

If not for this forum, I would not have known about White Lable lubes, would have wasted all that money on competitor lubes. Ordered all that would fit in a flatrate envelope to start. Whilst perusing his site (I think it was there) I came across the West Coast Engineering lead flux, the "green flux" if you will. It's supposed to be made from the leftover of tree processing, or sumpin' like that. I can't find any references to WCE on the forum. I ordered some anyway, figured if it's linked on White Label site it has to be good.

An important observation for those that try goofy stuff like I did. I ran out of Marvelux, the 1# tub I'd had forever. The SKU code and store I got it from is still on lid. Dong's in Tulsa, still a very big store, but no longer carry flux. It was a very slow turnover product, duh. Anyway, thinking flux is flux is flux, I went by the local welding supply store and bought a little 8 ounce can of soldering flux. It's basically a cleaner for the rod as it melds into the base metal. WRONG!!!!!!!!! I couldn't stir it into the molten lead, it wanted to stay on top, and when I did get some of it to submerge, it popped, not unlike water would do in lead.

Oh well, I'll use it on the farm, but will get it away from the lead for sure. It contains boric acid. No contents stated on the Marvelux can, but includes instructions to wash off contamination with a "boric acid ointment".

I learnt something the hard way.

GP,

I have used old saved up wax candles in the past, but since we moved to this house in the city, I would like to refrain from smoking up "her" garage, if ya know what I mean. The Marvelux does not smoke at all, and really doesn't even smell.

Wax will smoke, less iflit on fire, but will 'smolder' after fire is out. I was just wanting to know if anyone had used this wood product, I take it's from a special tree, I dunno.

Does one set the wood on fire with a match also, or just let it absorb the impurities. I am looking for experience here. I was just amaze this place quit carrying flux, and still carries pots, ingot moulds, hundreds of bullet moulds, all the sizing/lubing dies, etc. Just wierd he wouldn't carry just a few bottles of flus, that wouldn't set him back too much.

Oh well
Thanks,
Okie out

Well, I'll be skunked. 35 years of casting, and I had never heard that yet. If not for this forum, I roam in a pretty tight circle here. Not all that many casters in the local shooting club. Lost of reloaders, I never find any loose brass at the range unless the shooter just left in front of me.

Thanks guys,

I use wooden shims for squaring up door jambs. Nice and wide. Great for scraping the side of the pot

Back