One shot was not enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMOS

Here is an article form the Houston paper. Sad story.
Page: 42

Store owner, robber kill each other in attempted holdup

By JO ANN ZUNIGA
Staff

A grocery store owner and an 18-year-old would-be robber shot and killed each other at a store in Conroe Friday night.

The store owner, Barbara Byrd McCarty, 44, was found dead at the scene. The robber, Willie Darnell Cleveland Jr., died later at Conroe Regional Medical Center.

The shootings at McCarty's Grocery in the 1700 block of North First Street were discovered about 8:30 p.m. by Conroe police responding to a call from someone who was driving by and saw two people lying on the store's floor.

A videotape told the story of their life-and-death struggle.

Police Sgt. E. Bishop said the video shows the teen-ager entering the store wearing a hooded jacket with the hood covering his head.

He briefly walked around inside and then approached the checkout counter where he pulled a sawed-off shotgun from his jacket and demanded money.

The woman, apparently already suspicious of the man, had retrieved a pistol from under the counter. When the robber pulled the shotgun, she shot him one time.

But the shot did not disable him.

The teen is then seen coming around the side of the counter and beating McCarty and wresting the pistol away from her. He then shot her three times.

He tried unsuccessfully to open the cash register and then collapsed to the floor. He may have attempted to crawl away because his body was found by the doorway.

I would bet this woman had no handgun training at all. Why didn't she shoot the perp again as he came around the counter??!!

This would have been completely avoidable with just a small amount of training. Shoot until the perp stops. I think this is another example of TV syndrome. People see someone on TV getting shot with a cap gun and they drop right away - or fly across the room like they were hit by a pickup. We here know that is not the case.

Be safe.

CMOS

I used to live not far from there in Spring.
It really saddens me when I hear of a person
being killed by an animal. I hope everyone
who reads the above clipping takes notice:
"If you have to shoot, always double-tap".
This sage advice to me was from a retired
DPS range instructor during my CHL class.
You are probably correct about the woman having little or no training. The fact that
she could have saved her own life makes the
whole episode even more tragic. My prayers
for her family.

------------------
Never do an enemy a minor
injury. Machiavelli

I know the topic is open to debate, but the best advice I ever heard was, fire until the threat stops. If one shot doesn't put him down immediately, chances are neither will two. Unless a Central Nervous System hit is made, there is no guarantee until hemorraghic shock sets in, and the subject collapses. Some schools teach the Mozambique technique, which is two to the chest, evaluate, and if still standing, one to the head. While there may be some merit based on the possibility of drugs and/or body armor, I still say the average person is better off with multiple shots to the subjects torso, and if he then refuses to drop, take the head shot. Personally, I train to fire a string of 3- 6 shots for a single subject. If anyone would rather stick with the double tap, and doesn't like or feel confident with a head shot, double tap, assess, double tap, assess, is potentially effective. I train that too, for ammo conservation, but then I'm in the military, and you never know when your going to need more ammo. All three are good techniques and I've trained them all, but I still think the average shooter, should keep firing until the threat goes down. Of course, it doesn't do any good if you don't hit what you shoot at, but that's a different story...

Chuck

The DPS instructor taught us to fire a double-tap and check the results. If the
target was still standing, fire another
double-tap, and so on until the threat
ceased. I didn't mean to misrepresent the
DPS instructions in my earlier post.
Sorry about any confusion.

------------------
Never do an enemy a minor
injury. Machiavelli

Good points from all. I agree wholeheartedly that hemoragic shock will not "drop" a perp immediately. Chuck has it right - unless a critical shot is placed to disrupt the nervous system to incapacitate, the target will be able to function.

Personally I train and practice using the double-tap technique. If I have to pull the trigger, I'll do it twice. Starting with 2 double-taps sounds reasonable to me. For an autoloader, that still leaves 6 shots in the weapon for follow up if necessary.

The above artice is a good example for a training aid. I hope this information might prevent the same type of situation from happening to someone else.

Be safe.

CMOS

------------------
Join GOA, NRA, LEAA and vote.

No, I'm trying to find that out. WIll post if I find it.

CMOS

------------------
Join GOA, NRA, LEAA and vote.

Big mistake here was; only shooting this skummer once. Should have kept shooting till threat was stopped. Probably with her adrenaline dump she "freaked" after shooting him and he continued to mence her. I agree with shooting torso shots if not trained, or little trainng with firearm.[multiple times] Should have shot him 1st time in the head and went on from there if need be. It would be interesting to know what caliber firearm she used on this BG, find out what type of ammo was being used if possible also. My condolances go out to the victim, and to her next of kin.

Greetings Guy's; All of the above are on target with their post's; however Chuck
is in the X ring. One thing that the
female store owner did right; was to PAY
ATTENTION to detail. This is the FIRST
basic fundemental that EVERONE needs to
learn; even before you get into the
startled response technique. She was
using "proper mind set" as taught by
Colonel Jeff Cooper and others, including
myself. Yes, follow up shot's were definitely
in order; and I believe like you guy's that
if she had any training; she probably would
have carried them out !!! As the old saying