one shot spray lube

oldbear1950

was reading the directions , and since I have old steel sizing dies for my pistol rounds, what do I clean the inside of the sizing dies with?
Since they have no depriming pins is easy to take apart.
Then expand .
I hand deprime and prime all my cases.
Clean again, hand prime, and load.
the only rifle round I load at this time is 45-70

Clean out with rolled/twisted up paper towel.
Then spray inside with 1-Shot and let dry

(You really only have to do this once)

What are you needing to clean out? old built up sizing lube? perhaps some grit embedded in it??

there are a number of good solvents that would work, perhaps even just hot soapy water and a brush might do the trick Maybe just Windex? :rolleyes:

dry and wipe with cloth, I would clean it like a rifle barrel and see if that didn't do the trick.

waxy/cruddy buildup from old lubes.

Again, just spray some 1-Shot on twisted-up paper towel
and tightly run through up/out the die.

All th crud comes with it.

my cleaner of choice is wd-40 it cuts gummy stuff pretty well and doesn't hurt any metal, also prevents rust. it's a good solvent, even if it isn't that good as a lube.

I use a lot of Imperial sizing wax, works excellent as a case lube especially for more robust NATO casings, the downside is it leaves a real residual gooey mess inside my dies. Another +1 vote for cleaning with Brake Cleaner.

Brake Cleaner, Acetone, Kerosene, WD-40; and if it is truly only old wax, then using some heat source should melt it and it will flow out, or at least soften enough a Q-tip will clean it out

Funny thing is that some stuff won't come out with standard chemicals (alox, apache red, shellac). So I think you're better off using a bronze bore brush followed by patches with some oil on them. Hopefully they're not. Rusted.

Time is your friend. Drop the die in a jar full of odorless mineral spirits. Come back a week later and patch it out. By then, Alox will have dissolved, waxes will have become softened and swollen with mineral spirits, and may even have fallen loose. You then patch it out with mineral spirits and apply either your One-Shot inside and a rust inhibitor outside, or just hit the whole thing with a rust inhibitor (LPS 2, Birchwood Casey Sheith, or even just use a Gun Wipe on it).

If you want to go ballistic on it, after the soak, you can put it into the basket of an ultrasonic cleaner filled with Simple Green or Formula 409 and blast it clean, but you'll then want to rinse it quickly in hot water and then boil it for ten minutes in distilled water, and then shake the water off and let the heat dry it and then drop it into water displacing oil or hose it down with LPS 2. WD-40 is another water displacer (the WD stands for Water Displacing), but I find that as it dries off, the surfaces it is on gradually get tacky and attract dust from the air, so I like to take the WD-40 off and apply one of the rust inhibitors I mentioned above.

Back