One powder for .38/.357?

Robert1955

Inactive
Hello everyone, I am just starting out with reloading using a Lee Hand Press for 38 and 357 for my 4" GP100 and was wondering if there was one powder that would work well for both calibers? My bullet selection is a 158 HP for both but could drop to a 125 for the 38. I also plan on plated bullets only so leading should not be a problem. Thanks for any advice.

Do you want self-defense power or plinking only? If all you want to do is make holes in paper, I wouldn't be surprised to find that there was a .38 Spl-safe load that was also within acceptable limits for the .357; defense applications would have to be calculated differently.

I would imagine that anything you can safely load in .38 Spl would be completely safe in .357, but I'm open to correction if I am wrong.

Paper punching only, In my web research I am finding the larger case of the 357 affects the powder selection, a 38+P load using the same powder would be fine if it makes sense.

If you are willing to run warm 38 Special +P loads, you might look at something like 2400. You can run both a +P 38 and .357 Mag level loads with it. Personally, though, I would just load the magnum cases and forget the added complexity of keeping track of warm .38's.

Power Pistol will run more normal 38 Sprecial loads, and not-quite-full-magnum loads.

The basic problem you are up against is the powders that are slow enough to provide maximum velocity in the magnum don't ignite or burn as effectively at lower pressures than the magnum loads produce. Faster powders, suitable for the lower pressures, burn too quickly to produce magnum velocities without going over the published maximum pressure for the round.

Note that plated bullets can still produce metal (copper) fouling over time and that they are not the same as jacketed bullets and generally cannot be driven at equally high pressures before they start fouling.

2400 as others have mentioned. Unique, Titegroup, and Bullseye (for certain wadcutters) round out my powders. I’ve also used Universal and 700x.

Unique, Universal and HP38/W231 have all worked for me in both calibers and with plated bullets.

You're loading plated bullets, so no magnum loads, so no need for 2400 or anything slower.

Very fast powders (like Bullseye, Titegroup) work great in 38, but start to loose their luster in magnum brass.

You want a mid speed powder. Unique should be your first choice because it always delivers accuracy and has great case fill (safety). Super versatile - it's the one powder you want on your bench at all times.

Thanks Hammerhead, I did not notice an introduce yourself thread so I jumped right in. I have 100 new Starline 38 special cases and some mixed range brass I need to clean and inspect. I think for now I will stay with 38 only and learn what I am doing.

Robert,

I would get yourself some Red Dot for your .38 Specials. Reason? Light loads for punching paper, and Red Dot will give you good case fill so no chance of a double charge happening.

Don

Power Pistol will run more normal 38 Sprecial loads, and not-quite-full-magnum loads.

This ^^.

However, it may seem counter-intuitive, but you wanna run the 158's in the 38 Specials, and the 125's in the 357's. Power Pistol straddles the burn rate for potent 38's on one end, and not-quite-full-magnum on the other end.

Unique does this too, but not nearly as well, I think. Unique is known for its versatility, but it isn't as I define it. It does not run clean at lower (38 Spl) pressures and Power Pistol does (to a point, of course).

Those heavier 158's in 38 Special will keep the pressure up longer for a cleaner burn. The 125's for the 357 will get excellent velocity using Power Pistol without the big boom of 2400. Power Pistol is my go-to for 125's in 357; and I have all kinds of propellants from which to choose - including 2400. I reserve 2400 for full-throttle 158's in 357 (and 44 Mag for rifle - but that's another post). I don't like 2400 with 125's - way too boomy and flashy, with tons of superfluous recoil. Power Pistol does just fine - makes a very potent, excellent handling round. 1314 f/s through a 4" bbl - that's plenty o' poop, as far as I'm concerned.

All that rambling said however, I'd recommend either sticking with one or the other (loading 38's or 357's); or get more than one propellant. There's a lot of fun paper punching to be had with 38's using faster propellants. Good 38 Special ammo can be made using more conventional stuff like Bullseye, W231, AA#2, Titegroup, and others. These propellants sit right in the window where they run nice, consistent, and clean at 38 Special pressures. And using AA#2 and W231, I can get well over 900 f/s with 125's for my 38+P's - using published data - not hot-rodding. These are great rounds. Good little snappy recoil - truly fun to shoot.

Win 231 / HP38 will work well with 38 Sp. and will also work with fine with detuned 357 Mag. Same can be said with AA#5.

Powders that work great with 38 Sp. will generally work all right with detuned 357 loads.

Powders I use

I personally use Bullseye for my 38. Shooters in Bullseye competitions still use it so the powder is good enough for me. I also use Bullseye with my 230 RN .45acp loads and my groups are great. I found someone recommending 6.8gr of AA5 with 135gr Gold Dots to replicate a factory load. AA5 is versatile, and can be used for .357, .40, and .45. So, AA5 is my second choice.

My "tweener" loads are based on powders common to 38+p and .357 Magnum minimum data. I average the two for a lighter .357 load and have done really well with that approach. One I stick with is using BE-86. Unique, 231, Power Pistol, and Bullseye are other candidates, while the slower burners in that group may make the most sense.

Last edited:
Back