One-piece versus two-piece M1911 barrels... duh..what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogger

Hello folks and please educate me. Over numerous threads I have seen comments that favor the one-piece Colt barrel over the two-piece Springfield barrel. I had a Colt M1991, and I have a Springfield M1911A1, and I can't tell any difference. How is the Springfield barrel a two-piece barrel? Where do they join the pieces? Does the two piece barrel suggest that the Springfield is not perfectly true, "out-of-round" or something? Thanks!

Dogger:

As I understand it, this is the deal:

The term "two piece" is referring to the type of of bbl you'll remember from the military in the 1911A1s...the swinging link just below the bbl chamber through which the slide release pin had to fit.

One piece refers to new designs of bbls (some are in 1911 pattern pistols) which have done away with the link.

Mike

I thought the chamber was welded to the barrel on Springfield Armory barrels, I wish
the barrels on 1911 were more like Hi-power barrels, ramped too. that link and pin crap
seems a backward step which the U.S should have changed when the Hi-Power came out, also
a double stacked wide Para-ordance frame, it'd still be in use instead of the M-9, ahh
think I'll go back to the drawing board?:}

As I remember, the Springfields barrel is a 2 piece because the barrel is seperate from the breech/chamber.
This makes it easier & cheaper to make but accuracy & durability don't suffer.
If you look closely - Just where the cartridge chambers, there is is the join in the barrel.
A friends Hi Power has the same type of settup.
Made in Brazil...Whadidya expect a Kimber ? ;)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

[This message has been edited by HS (edited November 14, 1999).]

Sorry guys... that ain't right

The SA two piece barrel has a plain straight tube that is slipped through a piece that is either cast or machined to make the top and bottom locking lugs. You can often see a line near where it says "SA .45 Auto" that marks the joint. The most common way is to silver braze the two parts together.

The important thing is that the barrel and chamber are the same piece of metal, only the lugs are from a different piece.

It is a perfectly functional way to do things and considerably less expensive to make. Is it worse?

Not really. Barrels have been made this way for a long time. No it isn't a match barrel and SA uses something different in their custom guns, but it works just fine for a GI gun.

thanks for the replies; it ain't like I shoot any better with my Colt than with my Springfield. I can't tell any difference at all in down range accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back