One or two piece scope mount

Master Blaster

I am looking at leupold steel mounts for a weatherby .270 win.
what is your experience is it better to use a 1 piece or a two piece mount?? Which is easier to shim? Dovetail front and std rear mount on either one. I heard that 1 piece was easier from an internet source. My local gunshop mounts a lot of scopes and they like the two piece better. It seems to me that if you use a good steel mount you would have to shim front and back anyway so the screw holes would line up on the reciever, you could fudge it with an aluminum weaver.

Thanks

Either style in a quality mount(such as Leupold) will work
as well as the other. If done correctly, with proper rings,
there should be no reason to have to shim either style mount. Shimming is only done to correct sloppy fit of mount or rings and should be avoided if possible.

Winterville:
Just my 2c worth. I prefer the steel single base.

Reasoning:

Two piece ring mounts receive the homonics through the front ring first, and as they travel along the receiver they meet the 2nd ring. This produces a meeting of kenetic energy in the center of the scope, which can cause a sight change. This is predominetly the case with aluminum rings. In my opinion this is also true with steel rings & bases, however, it is not as prominate with the steel as the aluminum.

The single base, steel, slows the harmonics to such a degree, when they travel up the first ring and along the base, that the kenitic shock is reduced considerably. It is a marrying situation.

I have tested this theory with many scopes, rings and mounts. Clients would bring in the rifle stating that the scope will not maintain zero. Each shot changes the setting. I must clarify that only on one occasion did this occur with a Leopold, however, it had aluminum two ring mounts and when changed to steel single base it stopped the proplem. In the case of lesser scopes and rings a similar situation occurred.

HJN

One thing no mentioned is the one piece base helping(aguably)the stiffness of the action. The only down side I can think of is maybe the base will get in the way of the breach when cleaning.

Back