One more reason primers are hard to find: Czechs say the Russians blew up the S&B factory in 2014

Radny97

One more reason primers are hard to find: Czechs say the Russians blew up the S&B factory in 2014

Many of you may have noticed that S&B primers disappeared from the market in about 2014. Sure some were still floating around, but the imports ended about then. The reason? The factory in the Czech Republic that manufactured them blew up.
Now the Czech government has established that this factory explosion was an act of state terrorism by the Russian Federation and has imposed sanctions. Just one more factor in the primer shortage.

https://apnews.com/article/c593f724a16622eb6d0a19bae3d710be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that I am not happy to have the Russians get caught for their stuff, but equally they can be a convenient excuse to blame when you just screw up.

If you look at the Bon Home Richard Helicopter Carrier fire, they had fire sprinkler system off line and they had the isolation all opened up. In this case I think it was set by a yard worker.

But, you never have your sprinkler system off line unless you are full up manned, hatches closed, standby system ready.

So, the highest risk time is in the yard when you have the most cutting, grinding, welding that usually sets that stuff off an you just lay it open for a conflagration.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

The S&B plant explosion is long since recovered from and it is back up and running again. This 2018 video shows their then-one-year-old new facility cranking out three million rounds a day. And they specifically mention primer manufacturing. So that facility was running fully again by the end of 2017. 18-24 months is how long U.S. makers typically need to get a new facility going, so that's a believable time period if we assume the original explosion knocked much of the plant out. Most ammo plants are divided into multiple buildings precisely so one explosion can't take the whole facility out. S&B had a deadlier explosion in 1967, and came back from it.

Google Earth photo used in compliance with its TOS. I just noticed this is from 2007, though. I don't know why they don't update a little more often. Cost of satellite time, perhaps.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2021-04-18_16-08-44.jpg
    2021-04-18_16-08-44.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 336
Ok good. At least Russian terrorism isn’t contributing to the ammo crisis. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back