one more mosin nagant sticky bolt solution

rickyrick

The mosin I got at Christmas suffered from the sticky bolt syndrome during the first box of ammo. I discovered that the main culprit was where the protrusion on the bolt meets the top angled part on the receiver was roughly finished. I lightly lapped this area with some compound followed by a quick polish. I did this only because this area only assists with initial extraction during bolt rotation and does not affect any other geometry. This greatly improved extraction and along with the recommended chamber scrub, it now functions flawlessly.

I'm on the cell phone again so ill edit later so it can be understood better.

I apologize in advance for the bad picture...for I could not get camera to cooperate. You should get the idea.

When the bolt is rotated to the position shown every part of the bolt interacts with each other and that is the point of maximum friction in the extraction cycle.

I used lapping compound on the area indicated by the arrow and rotated the bolt with the trigger pulled several times until the area was smooth, then i cleaned and polished the areas on the bolt and receiver that had been lapped.

It only takes a tiny bit of compound and be extra careful not to get it any where else on the bolt.

Also, this rifle seems to benefit from a mix of red grease, STP or Lucas and few drops of CLP........
Mix well in a small container until spouse complains about smell..

Drizzle on all of the innards of the bolt, there is a lot of friction going on during that rotation of the bolt...if you study it while working the bolt you can see what I mean.

DSCN2114.jpg

Back