One More Mini-14 Question

Skorzeny

I've noticed that with some aftermarket magazines (even those that feed perfectly), sometimes the bolt does NOT lock back after the last round in the magazine is fired.

What may be the cause of this and how can I correct it?

I am suspecting that the feed lips may need to be rounded, so that the follower would smoothly rise and lock the bolt back.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Does the magazine lock the bolt back when the rifle is operated manually? Does the factory magazine lock the bolt back with the same ammo?

Jim

I found aftermarket 10 rounders that fed well, and appeared to be sturdy(for a Mini mag anyway). They were quite inconsistent on hold-open, as the projection on the follower did not seem high enough to engage it 100%

Jim Keenan:

Yes and yes. The bolt does lock back manually and with the factory five-round magazine.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Try swapping out the Ruger follower for the Aftermarket one. It might just be that the spring is not strong enough. All-in-all though, it sounds like a good reason to get better-quality magazines. Never had a problem with my USA brand in that department although I had to work on the feed lips a bit. I still have a Bunch of Ruger mags though and they ALWAYS work perfectly.

I know I can take the follower out of the Ruger magazines, but how do I do that with the aftermarket ones? The base plate does not come off.

Skorzeny

------------------

Back