One more IDPA Classifier question.

mollow

I noticed when I was at the range last night that I could significantly up my speed if I let shots hit the -1 area as opposed to zero. How should I determine what counts more-- speed or accuracy? Right now, at my present speed, I am able to put all shots in the zero range at 7 yards and a few -1 in the 10 yard range. At 20 yards I get a smattering of all three area, but no misses at all. Am I going too slow?

Mike

Well, you determine which counts more by looking at your final score. Can you shoot fast enough to make up for dropped points at half a second each?

Misses are intolerable. If you are shooting -3s at 20 yards do not speed up. Do not miss the headbox at 7 yards.

Hi Jim, good to hear from you. Well, I have the current disadvantage of not having a timer. That should be my next purchase. At seven yards I get no penalties. At 10 yards I may have 3-5 minus ones for the whole stage. At 20 yards I'm getting 3-5 minus threes.
Since I practice alone, are there timers that I can set for a long enough delay that I can set it, put it down and then be "ready"?

Mollow,
IDPA makes it easy to think about this. Standard Vickers count is 1/2 the time per point, so unless your "precision" aiming takes less than 1/2 second longer (my precision shots are nearly 2 seconds) it's just not worth it to shoot for down-zeroes.
Go ahead and speed it up, but don't shoot so fast that you start incurring penalties.

You should shoot fast enough to get a smattering at all ranges within the constraints of the cover.

But upon further reflection....this question pertains to the classifier itself, huh?

Since that one's limited Vickers, you'll want to go slow enough to keep your shots within -1 because you can't throw another round downrange to be sure.

You're shooting too slow at 7 yds and too fast at 20 for the classifier, but for actual scenarios you're about right at 20 and too slow for the others.

Merry Christmas to you as well.

Shot the Classifier today. No problems, except rushing some shots. I was nervous. Took a tour of the Smith and Wesson museum. The tour guide was the guy who designed the Model 39 and also a Machine Gun and silencer for S&W. My buddy and I were the only ones there. What an enormous facility.

I'm waiting on the scores still. I don't expect to be more than a Marksman at this very early stage in my competitive shooting.
The gun I shot with was a Glock 17, unmodified. I lent my S&W Model 952-1 to my buddy and I think he shot a little more accurately... as you would imagine with the extra inch plus single action only.

I got a score of 166 which squarely makes me a Marksman. I'm going to practice with a timer and try to improve to Sharpshooter for the next Classifier in March. I don't know if that is a reasonable goal, but it seems to be.

Back