One last (I sure hope) Python question

Monkeyleg

Several of you "snake lovers" have given me advice in the last couple of weeks in my quest to find a reasonably -priced good quality Python. I have one that I may buy. The year of production is 1981. There has been mention of the deteriorating standards of production on the Pythons in the 1980's. I hope to have this revolver for many years (assuming that Hillary is not elected in 2004). Will the quality of a 1981 gun be as good as a mid -1970's gun, or should I pay the extra $100 or so for an "e" series Python?

Thanks for any advice.

Dick

Monkeyleg, That's a good question? If only a $100 bill separated the two; I would opt for a "E" series from
the 1970's.:D Just my opinion, as I owned a total of
four Python's, in the days gone by!!!:)

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

now this may just be me :) , but for $100 difference, i'd buy the gun you have in hand and have the action tuned for about the same price. with all tolerences set and bearing surfaces polished, you'll have a snake to compare with the best available :D.

I think the real problems in the 80s came during a prolonged strike at Colt. I don't remember when it started -- I want to say around 1985, but I really don't remember. My point, though, is that it is very possible that the only difference between these two revolvers, really, is whether the year starts with a 7 or an 8. Only a side by side test would really tell...

This message kinda called out to me...The real answer to your question comes down to how long are you willing to wait if you don't by this Python? One week, one month, one year? I looked a loooong time before I found mine at a price I was willing to pay, but am extremely happy I waited. For the record, it is an E serial number. However, I'm sure you can find quality 80's made Pythons, they weren't all lemons. If the gun you are looking at seems to satisfy your needs for condition, quality and price, get it and start shooting. I doubt you will have a case of buyers remorse.

SnakeLover

Personally, I'd look more at the individual guns than at the dates. IMHO, a Python from the 1970s (or earlier) may have been made better, and would be my preference, all things being equal. But I think that Colt's made mostly good guns in the early 1980s, and probably also made a few bad guns during the 1970s. Plus, a lot of things can happen to a gun over the years--for example, "kitchen gunsmithing"--and these things may cancel out the original quality. IOW, I'd check the gun first and the year second.

FWIW, I have a blue and an electroless nickel Python made in 1981, both with 2 1/2-inch barrels. The blue one came from the factory with a problem in the mechanism that was pretty obvious, and Colt's fixed it. The other one has been fine. I also have a Python (matte stainless, 6-inch) from 1983, and it's a beauty in all respects.

HTH. :)

Well, this gun is getting away from me. :mad: The auction started at $625 and it's already at $705 with two days to go. These prices are nuts!! There's even a guy with a newer stainless Python new in box who has a _starting_ price of $1100. I'll pay $700-something for one in near-mint condition, but I sure won't pay $900 or more.

Dick

Back