One Gun a Minute

bergie

Last weekend a gun buyback in Omaha, NE got 171 guns "off the street" in less than 3 hours. They paid out about $9000 cash for 102 handguns and 69 rifles, including 2 "assault rifles." They offered $100 for assault weapons, $50 for other guns, and $5 for lookalike toys.
171 guns in less than 3 hours. That is one per minute. They must have had people waiting in line to give up their guns and surrender their rights to own them.
Either that or they bought a bunch of scrap metal, and ripped off a few old widows who didn't know what to do with their deceased husbands' war relics and collectible firearms. Either way, we all know that it had no effect on street crime.
The buyback was sponsored by Mad Dads, an organization that started out preaching that all members of the community are responsible for what happens in the community. Their actions helped (to some degree) clean up North O and help make it safer (I still wouldn't walk there at night alone and unarmed)- neighborhood watch, improved police relations, and that sort of thing.
This is not their first buyback and won't be the last. According to Mad Dads leader Eddie Staton they still have $9000 and FUNDS ARE BEING MADE AVAILABLE BY THE FEDERAL GOV. They plan to enlarge the scope of their operation, with multiple sites throughout the Omaha area, including Council Bluffs Iowa.

"This is not a gun rights issue, it's a gun responsibility issue," Staton said.

Evidently they don't think the people are responsible enough to trust them with guns.
Bergie

$5 for lookalike toys? Gee, with a bit of scrap metal, me and my table saw can whip out about 200 of them. A little bit of black pain and voila, enough money to buy a real nice gun. Let me know if they come to town. I need a heads up to get the production line going.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

You can do really well at those "gun buy backs" (a misnomer since you can't "buy back" what you never owned to begin with) by using a solid carbide twist drill to open up the barrels on those crimped blank starter revolvers! Monkeywrench the facists and make money all at once!

I still love that story of the gun store owner who put up a sign that read simply "Turn In Guns Here", and since there was a lot of publicity about some gov't buyback scheme at the time, a bunch of people walked in and put their guns in a box he had set out! funny stuff.

When I first read the proposed title, I thought this was some new anti legislation proposal - now there's a restriction I could live with!

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited November 26, 1999).]

Back