One for the Gun Dog Guys

PM720

Inactive
I have an opportunity to pickup a purebread Golden Retriever for a good price. The question is, he's about a year old (and a city dog) and has not had any field training yet. Is it too late? I had heard you should start them younger. Any good training recommendations? Books?

Thanks,

Scott

skip this one unless you are after purely a family pet.

if you are looking for a dog to train, the highest success will come from a dog that gets started well before 12 weeks old (preferably around 8 weeks).

It CAN be done, but it will be a lot harder to do.

Get the book Water Dog if you duck hunt or Game Dog if you upland hunt, read it cover to cover and go get a puppy that is 49 days old. Follow the book EXACTLY and you will have a good gun dog if the dog has any potential at all.

picking a pup

also wanted to add that you can increase your odds of success by picking the right pup... there are seminars and books on this subject as well...

in a nutshell, i avoid the dominant male and female...and start making eliminations...this is a huge subject, though, and perhaps want to check out a seminar or 2...

Of much more importance than the age is the lineage. Does it come from a line of hunters? What are the sire and dam like?

Lots of good info. on the net.

While I haven't used Wolters books, they don't seem to have a very good reputation on the various dog boards that I have visited. YMMV.

If it is out of good lines, a one year old dog can be turned into a good retriever.

Thanks guys! I just recently found this website and now I am sad that it is going away just as I am getting to use it. Checking the lineage sounds like good advice. Do you have suggestions for other websites on gun dogs?

Scott

All of my links are for pointing dogs. A quick Google search should turn up lots of hits. Try searching on "Retriever Training Forums."

Back