One Book to Rule Them All

'88Scrat

Need some suggestions here; if you could own only one book on the M1 Garand and the M1903 Springfield which ones would you pick?

Looking to expand my knowledge here.

For historical information, Bruce Canfield's books are hard to beat. His volume on the Garand isn't cheap, but is superb.

Brophy is the classic work on the '03, but be sure to have Campbell's The Smokeless Era as Campbell corrects Brophy's mistakes. Still, it's good to have Canfield's book to go with them too.

There is no only one Garand book. Canfields is good but does not go into depth as far as correct parts on original rifles. Some information is rather vague and doesnt go into detail
I'm not knocking it just saying there is no one book that tells all. There are some books out there that have alot if inaccurate info.
Scott Duffs books are well worth reading
IMO some of the best publications are the GCA and The Garand Stand quarterly magazines

I have several of each, the Garand and Springfield. Canfield's books are excellent but if I could only have one of each, it would be Hatcher's Book of the Garand, and Edward Lewis' book of the Springfield.

But like my Garand's and Springfield rifles, I'm not getting rid of any of my books.

Back