Once manufactured or imagined......

Kaliburz

Okay. This a strange 'identify' situation. There is no pistol to ID, but........only a description

Okay, a buddy says that a bunch of 'older' customers 60-80 years old says it was made, but the books don't have any 'picture', 'record' of it being made.

They say that Colt (or maybe High Standard) made a semi auto .22 that had a exposed hammer. It was suppose to have the same lines like the Colt Woodsman or Huntsman. The 'old timers' say it was made between 1920-1940. One of them says that he actually shot one in his youth.......a semi auto .22LR w/ an exposed hammer.

We're guessing it's either a Colt or possible a High Standard. If any one has an idea of what they're talking about, please post the manufacturer and model name of what they're talking about.

Thanks.

Kaliburz
:)

Sounds like the High Standard HD Military. As I recall, they were in 22LR, .380 ACP and I have seen a couple in .45 ACP. Had wood
checkered grips. Wish I had picked up a couple back when.....
By the way, I'm not close to 80...LOL
Dan

I have also heard stories that the .380's were made for OSS operations in the early 40's

There were several models made by High Standard, all similar, except for mfg date length of bbls and size.

Model H-B
Identical to the model B, but with an expose hammer. Introduced in 1940, discontinued in 1942.. Ap;prox. 2,100 were made of the first model and 25,000 on the second model

Model H-A
Same as theModel A but with exposed hammer. Introduced in 1940 discontinued in 1942. approx 1,040 mfg'd

Model H-D
Same as the Model D but with expose hammer. Introduced in 1940 discontinued in 1942.

Model H-E
Same as the E Model but with exposed hammer. Introduced in 1940 discontinued in 1942. approximately 1,000 mfg'd

Model B-US
4 1/2" bbl but same as the model B. Introduced in 1942 discontinued in 1943. 14,000 mfg'd

Model USA HD
Same as the H-D model but with a 4 1/2" bbl. 1943-1948 44,000 mfg'd

Model H-D Military:
4 1/2 or 6 3/4" bbl w/checkered walnut grips 1946-1955 150,00 mfg'd

From the photos and your description these are the pistols you mentioned. All look similar to the Citation model except the HB model, it is considerably smaller.

HJN

Hi, guys,

High Standard long wanted to get into the center fire pistol business, and experimented with pistols in .25 ACP, .32 ACP, .32 S&W Long, .380 ACP, 9mm Luger, .38 Special, and .45 ACP. The only one that got any significant production (7400) was an exposed hammer blowback in .380 caliber, which was called the Model G-380. They were way too big for what was usually thought of as a defense caliber; most were sold off in a big batch and snapped up for peanuts by people (like me) who wanted one for the collection.

H-S also wanted into the center fire target market, and a few .38 Special wadcutter-only guns were made; some examples are in collections. The gun was called the P-38 (with, believe it or not, a picture of the P-38 fighter plane on the slide). (I don't know why they didn't go with the .32 S&W Long, a favorite in CF competition in Europe.)

They also made up a couple of blowback guns in 9mm Parabellum for a try at a government contract. They used some tricks like annular grooves in the chamber, but they only proved that a blowback pistol with a light slide would come apart in unexpected ways when fired with the 9mm round. Too bad; the pictures show a nice looking pistol.

The .45 was the only one that was not blowback. Apparently only one was made. It looks very much like the old Grant Hammond pistol and one source says he worked for H-S for a while. It appears huge and clumsy, hardly a competition for the Colt 1911 type.

The Colt Woodsman was never made with an exposed hammer.

HTH

Jim

A little sidebar to add to Harley and Jim's info.

H S was the sole supplier of the .22 cal pistol for military training...(WWII)....Fjestad

The model USA-HD-MS. ......Attached silencer for covert operations....

Sam....not old, just ripe

Back