On-line ammo with good shipping prices?

Ocraknife

I've found a few good sources for ammo online with reasonable pricing except for shipping costs. Anyone have some suggestions for ammo sources with good shipping prices?

Thanks

I just bought a case of 9mm from ammunitionsupplycompany w/ $24 for shipping to Illinois.

They were the only company willing to actually look at Illinois law and send me (non resident) ammo without a FOID.

Their ammo prices are great too.

Another vote for SG Ammo here.

I used to buy a lot from Freedom Munitions, but they slowly started raising prices to the point where their reman is almost as much as new, name brand stuff elsewhere, and their new stuff is more expensive than name brand.

SGammo is pretty good. Low prices offset avg shipping. http://www.sgammo.com/

Dans Ammo: Selection varies and is somewhat inconsistent with stock but when they have a deal it is a good one. http://www.dansammo.com/ammo.asp

The Armory http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/index.html They often have free shipping deals or at least reasonable shipping.

AIM Surplus is pretty decent for me. case of 223 runs about $17 shipped to my door. http://www.aimsurplus.com/

Sportsman's Guide: even if you don't sign up for their stupid club. Often offer free shipping. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/department/ammo-shooting?d=121

Cabela often has free shipping and if you don't have one in your state you avoid tax.

Mass Ammo: Limited offerings but often run free shipping but always have $12.99 flat shipping http://massammo.com/

When buying online it really does make the most sense to buy in bulk quantities. Not necessarily a bulk pack but enough to be similar. Online shipping can be frustrating and while we, Plinker's Club, have free shipping often (actually we have it today, PM me if you want the coupon, I'm trying not to self promote here), we have to make money too. Some guy emailed our support team yesterday asking for a free shipping code for two boxes of 22LR. When they asked me I said I would love to help but because of the low margins on 22LR I can't help him, I'm not going to sell anything at a loss unless it is a special promotion. We also have free shipping once your cart reaches $149 or more.

There are ups and downs to buying online, the ammo is cheaper but you also have to figure in shipping costs. At the same time you are generally saving money by not having to pay taxes but if you want to go to the range that weekend and it is already Friday it doesn't make sense because it probably won't get there exactly when you want it. But, if there is anything I can do to help you out just send me a PM, we always price match.

Cyanide971 said:
I used to buy a lot from Freedom Munitions, but they slowly started raising prices to the point where their reman is almost as much as new, name brand stuff elsewhere, and their new stuff is more expensive than name brand.
FM has free shipping today only for DST - they do it a lot for "special" dates like Feb 29, holidays, etc.

Their prices seem to be dependent on the load. You're right that their 9mm seems about in line with other vendors now but 38 and especially 357 still seems to be better than elsewhere. The other nice thing about FM is that their bulk price is good for 250 rounds. You don't have to get 1000 at a time. This is great for getting multiple calibers or trying different loads.

There are ups and downs to buying online, the ammo is cheaper but you also have to figure in shipping costs. At the same time you are generally saving money by not having to pay taxes but if you want to go to the range that weekend and it is already Friday it doesn't make sense because it probably won't get there exactly when you want it. But, if there is anything I can do to help you out just send me a PM, we always price match.

With the pricing I am seeing on our sight I bet you price match often. ;) For example you sell Wolf Gold for $7.39 = $389 a case when the going rate almost everywhere else is $300-$310. Even with free shipping you are about $70 over the going rate. I can get 1000 rounds in an ammo can shipped for $320.

I am not trying to bash you but if you are going to come here to promote your commerical venture in the common forums I think you should as least be offering a competitive price. Online ammo is a touch slim margin business. Lots of competitors and lots of variables. Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks WVSig, as I mentioned I am NOT trying to promote myself, just trying to help out a fellow enthusiast. You will also find that the majority of our prices match or beat competitors and we are often adjusting our prices to stay competitive. That particular case you are talking about was most likely priced off of the price that our supplier provided since we do not have any bulk packages produced from the Wolf factory, that particular option was put together by our supplier.

That being said, thank you for pointing that out. I will have the team look into it and see if the price can be adjusted.

Thanks WVSig, as I mentioned I am NOT trying to promote myself, just trying to help out a fellow enthusiast. You will also find that the majority of our prices match or beat competitors and we are often adjusting our prices to stay competitive. That particular case you are talking about was most likely priced off of the price that our supplier provided since we do not have any bulk packages produced from the Wolf factory, that particular option was put together by our supplier.

That being said, thank you for pointing that out. I will have the team look into it and see if the price can be adjusted.

Its all good the online ammo business is a tough one. Good luck

Thanks, and seriously, we appreciate it when people point stuff out like that because it is extremely difficult to stay competitive. Especially with so many competitors. Sometimes our hands are tied by our suppliers and luckily a lot of the time they aren't. We reassess about every 90 days but generally base our prices off of large competitors like Lucky Gunner and Midway. I digress though before this subject gets off topic :P

Great suggestions! Thank you all!

I can usually find pretty good deals on 9mm, .40 and random .22LR but it's the other stuff I shoot that I have trouble finding at less than extortionate prices locally.

The ammo I'm shopping for on-line is usually stuff like 10mm, 357sig or specific .22LR like CCI mini mags. The .22LR is stocked locally but it sells out so quick it's hard to find any for sale.

10mm is what I want the most and I've found it online for what I consider a decent price but the shipping and handling costs negate the savings so it's hard to know what to do.

.357sig isn't cheap but it's available locally.

If I found some 9x25 Dillon I might get some of that too.

Anyway, I thank you again for all of your help!

Okra

I've never bought ammo on-line, as I don't shoot that much to have to look beyond my local shelves for my joy at the range. I can buy affordable boxes by name brand off shelves and shoot my 50 rounds at the range in each calibler at the local lowest price. I use full jacketed, brass casings that are allowed at my indoor range. I do not use steel or aluminum casings that are disallowed. I'm not knocking on-line purchasing, but not looking for volume in my purchases unless there is a run on the caliber we all saw with .22LR.

NRA Certified Instructor, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
State Certified Instructor Concealed Carry
State Certified Hunter Safety Instructor

Wish I could say the same.

My range charges me 15+tax for a box of 9mm, and I can get a box of Blazer Brass for 11 flat.

Saving 80 dollars per case which is really quite a bit.

Unless it is a hard to find caliber I buy very little ammo on line.
Walmart has some pretty good buys and I buy my ammo there if I need it or not and it keeps my supply from running low or out.

Walmart has some pretty good buys and I buy my ammo there if I need it or not and it keeps my supply from running low or out.

I would like to do that too,but here in Colorado the sporting goods section at Walmart is basically non-existent.
The options here are Cabelas or Gander Mountain.
I shoot about a case of 9mm a month.
The box of Blazer Brass is still $13 on sale,and if you're not a fan of Blazer Brass you're pretty much out of luck.
At SGAmmo I can pick between Magtech ,Sellier&Bellot,Geco and pay $200 a case.

I've never saved money buying online unless I spend several hundred dollars. The only time I spend that much on a single round is when I find myself dabbling in some sort of competition or 22lr. That only happens every couple of years.

Otherwise, the only time it makes sense is purchasing something I can't find locally. An odd cartridge or odd load in a common one. Even then it is a pill to order unless it is in addition to a bulk buy.

Back