Omega

The Springfield Omega was manufactured by Peter Stahl in (then West) Germany. It was originally offered in 9mm, 10mm, .45ACP, and (I think .38 Super). The frame was a regular 1911 (from Springfield I would guess but could have been from Germany also and stamped at Springfield). Instead of the regular swivel-link system of the 1911, the lockup is modified Browning like a SIG P22X, HK USP, Glock, etc. The Slide is considerably more stout than a 1911 and is more boxy. The barrels (5" and 6") are also polygonal and ported. Sights are adjutable. Front sight is replaceable and set in by a set screw. Serrations are square and wide much like a SIG's.

There were changes to the recoil spring plug and extractor(s) during its marketing through Springfield. Some models, I think the later ones, had the plug with a slot at the end to accomodate a screwdriver to help it out. How it comes out, I do not know as mine it the other type which is a simple tube the retains the spring. No barrel bushing.

The difference in the extractor(s) is the most notable difference. Some models had a duel extractor system, the left one holding onto the case rim a little looser than the right one as evident by the more angled grabbing surface of the extractor. When the casing is being drwn out of the chamber, both extractors hold onto the case. When the head hits the ejector (on the lower left side), the left extractor is suppose to release the case faster, due to its more angled surface, than the right one and the case ejects as normal. Unfortunately, this doesn't work 100% of the time and occasionally an empty case will come flying back towards your forehead. The other extractor does away with the duel system and replaces the left extractor with a hex-bolt that moves the regular extractor in or out.

The reason for hte strange extractor systems is due to the fact that the pistol was designed to be interchangable between calibers with a simple change in recoil spring, barrel, and mag. The same slide is suppose to be used for all calibers. Since the casehead diameter is considerably different between 9mm - 10mm - .45ACP, some type of adjustable or self-adjustable extraction system was needed.

The gun was finally dropped from Springfield (I think) due to lack of sales. It was picked up briefly by McMillan as the Wolverine. There is suppose to be a current importer, the one that is said to me importing the semi-auto revolver Matebae (sp), that now markets the Peter Stahl guns but have yet to actually see one. They are running a very high price as listed in one of the universal gun catalogs. (I'm not at my apartment at the moment so I don't have the full details at this time.) I would like to get another.

The gun shoots very well except for the occasional empty case towards your face.

Back