OM Blackhawk 9mm cylinder?

Venom1956

Did they ever have the dual cylinder 357/9mm Blackhawks when they were the Old Models or is that a new model only thing?

Does anyone know of any good Smith's that would/can fit a 9mm cylinder into an OM Blackhawk?

Just curious. It be a nice option when I go to the range.

Yes, I bought my Old Model Convertible 40 years ago. IIRC the Ruger New Models are all based on the larger Super Blackhawk frame, I doubt if a New Model cylinder would fit.

Yes they did make 9mm convertibles on the old model guns. Cylinders aren't growing on trees but they do come up for sale occasionally.

I have a New Model Blackhawk 357 from the 1970's. On Monday I purchased a 9mm cylinder for it on GunBroker. I sure hope it fits and works correctly.

There are places that can machine and fit a new cylinder.
Just saying...
Yeah that's a wee bit more than the $100-$150 for an original. Not to mention shipping costs and waiting time. Spending a grand or more to have a custom cylinder fitted so you can use cheap 9mm ammo seems somewhat counter-intuitive.

Yeah that's a wee bit more than the $100-$150 for an original. Not to mention shipping costs and waiting time. Spending a grand or more to have a custom cylinder fitted so you can use cheap 9mm ammo seems somewhat counter-intuitive.
Not everyone cares about "cheap". For some, it's simply about shooting 9mm.

And, there's no guarantee that an original cylinder is going to fit any given revolver.
Cylinder + fitting = far from cheap, too.

I have used a NM cylinder in an old model. Just dressed down the cylinder pin hole face with a fine file to fit. No problems what so ever.

It's a whole hell of a lot easier and less expensive to buy a factory cylinder, even if you have to ship it to a gunsmith and have it fitted, than it is to have one made from scratch. In that case it would be the first time I EVER heard of someone having a cylinder made, for which there is a factory equivalent, to shoot the 9mm out of a 357mag single action revolver. Cheap ammo is the only reason I can come up with for wanting to wobble a .355" bullet down a .357" bore. :rolleyes:

Furthermore:

Bowen - a year and at least $1000.

Linebaugh - at least three years, if he'll even do it.

Cylinder & Slide - doesn't make cylinders.

Turnbull - doesn't make cylinders or do this type of work in general.

Clements Customs - two years and at least $1000

I have used a NM cylinder in an old model. Just dressed down the cylinder pin hole face with a fine file to fit. No problems what so ever.

NM cylinders don't work in 357 OM's. The OM is a smaller frame with a smaller cylinder and a shorter distance from the center of the cylinder to the center of the chambers. The recent medium frame convertibles not withstanding.

I did it with a 45 colt. I have a 3 screw 45 convertible. When I bought it, it only had the 45 acp cylinder. Finally just took a chance on a NM cylinder and it worked perfect with just a little relief on the cylinder pin hole face.

Back