Olympic Arms AR15 VS Bushmaster

Hey everybody - I just bought my first AR-15!
In a moment of weakness I went with the Oly PCR W/ a 16" Bbl & AK style muzz break.
Now I do a bit more research & find that it doesn't have a chrome lining & that BM/Armalite/Colt are considered better.
I paid 730 + $50 tax. What do you guys think??? Any thoughts are appreciated!

your lucky it doesn't have a chromimm pated bore unles you plan on doing a lot of rattle battle. The plain barrel should have more accracy the plated bore will withdtand erosion better when high numbers of rapid fire are fired

I have a BM Shorty Carbine, configured about the same as yours. I am happy with mine and I think you will be happy with yours. They are both fine rifles. Be glad you got an AR. If Big Brother gets it way, we will not have them at all.

the olympics supposedly shoot tighter groups cause the chamber is a bit tighter than mil spec

dZ

Your rifle is a piece of crap.....I'll give you $2 and take that lemon off of your hands ;)

------------------
frogman6

If you are going to buy some replacement trigger parts. Namely trigger and hammer make sure that you buy genuine Oly parts as other parts won't fit. They have a slighly differrent angle on them somewhere.
A local deputy bought an Oly receiver from me
and a parts kit from DPMS and I had to hand fit the parts to the receiver to get them to work. When I called Oly about this one of the service personnel told me that if I didn't like their receiver to send it back and he would return my money. I was a litle pissed that he was rude and I haven't bought another thing from Oly. I've built 15 other parts guns on other receivers mostly on Bushmaster receivers and I haven't had a problem with them.

My BM, I built by hand... This was the 5th I built. The others had to go due to financial reasons but the last I kept. I used all BM parts... but the barrel. I did not want a chrome barrel because I heard they are less accurate for some reason or another... So I selected a 16 inch barrel made by another company...
I dont know if its true or not - but I can shoot sub MOA if I do my job right and use Hornady VX ammo...

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

oly is an underated mfg. bushmaster is a well known mfg and has great customer svc. oly has beem criticzied about their cust/svc. that said considering the wait for a new ar (in my opinion) any one will do. i own oly's b/master's dpms and colt's and any time i see an oly for sale i tell my friend's about it, as they shoot very well.and for some strange reason used one's do not bring that high a resale as other "name" ones do. good shooting and have fun

I have a BM 16" shorty and an Oly 20" they are both great rifles. paided 599 for the BM last november. paid 799 for the oly in august. I'm in cali so yeah

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?

One maker out there that is very good as well is HESSE... They make ARs and AR variants. There best AR mod is a 50 cal version.

------------------
Not all Liberals are annoying... Some are Dead.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

What with the scarcity of AR rifles at the present time, it sounds like you did well just getting one, and that price sounds like a fair one. Oly, while not my favorite AR manufacturer, has been in business for quite a while and does have a good reputation in the marketplace.

All the AR guys are feeling the crunch right now, as there is a big buying rush on with the Y2K stuff and the various state bans on them. If you decide you don't like the rifle, you won't have any trouble getting rid of it, and you'll probably make a few bucks on it as well. Now, go get some good mags and you're all set!

I bought a stainless Hesse Lower that was supposed to be finished (baked on black teflon). Well the flashing wasn't removed in the interior. No biggie.

The biggies to me were the hole for the safety had to be drilled out before the safety could be inserted (lower placed into vise and the chucked drill rotated by hand - simple job) and the front pivot pin hole is offset (possibly major issue). If an upper won't fit because of that pivot pin hole being off, I'm returning the sucker.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I have the Armalite NM. This is a real tackdriver of a gun. It is class "A" as far as fit and finish. Customer service is good also. I have only called to ask tech questions as I haven't had a bit of trouble with the gun.

Joefo

Woody,
I have to object to your comment on only Olympic arms parts fitting their receivers. I built two AR's using Oly receivers. One used an Oly parts kit, the other from JT Surplus. Both worked just fine.

------------------
Dorsai
Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys.
-- Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Back