Olyarms uppers?

AK47

Inactive
I was looking to buy a complete upper(Postban), how does Olyarms uppers compare to BM or DPMS? Im looking to get a 16" with a break. I have a BM complete lower, but I am wondering if the higher price on BM uppers is worth it?

Olympic cuts a match .223 chamber that is not as forgiving as a mil spec chamber. Some people have reported more FTEs on an Olympic upper.

BM chrome lines the bore, DPMS & oly do not.

IMHO the extra money spent on a BM upper will make you happier later on.

YTM has some deals on colt m4 barrels but you would have to make it yerself...

Colt postban H-Bar bbls, 1/9 twist, 16" with front sight and bbl nut assy
$225 http://www.blackrifle.com/specials.htm
http://www.blackrifle.com/conv.htm

------------------
"walk softly and carry a big stick, one that goes bang in .308 is fine"

[This message has been edited by dZ (edited January 19, 2000).]

Of the brands you mention, I would pay more and go for the Bushmaster upper. Personally, I am not impressed with Olympic Arm products from a fit and finish standpoint. I feel that Bushmaster makes a better all around product. Plus you already have the Bushmaster lower, why not just complete the gun in whole? :) (just another excuse to spend more!)

Many people think that the Oly upper is more accurate than the BM because of it's tighter chamber and more uniform bore (no chrome lining).

The BM would definately be a better rifle for the field, since the bore would not be as prone to rusting. The military uses a chrome bore because of the potential for their guns to see hard use in the field.

What do you want to use this rifle for? If you are trying to build a tack-driver for varmint use, I'd go with the Oly upper. If you are just building a regular AR (which are plenty accurate anyway), I'd go with the BM upper.

HTH,
Gino

Thanks for the responses. I think Im going to get the BM upper. Im just building a regular AR nothing fancy, no comp shooting, mainly for target practice and in case the revolution starts ;).

Back