OLY .45 ACP AR-15 UPPER ANY GOOD???

Floyd2U

I was thinking about getting a new upper for my AR-15 in .45. I'm looking at the Olympic Arms with the modified UZI magazines. Is it a good functioning weapon? Are there better ones on the market? What about accuracy? Can I get spare magazines?

And, what about the 7.62x39mm? I'd like to have a "real" caliber for useful things, as well as .223 for social purposes...

I wanted one of those Oly .45 conversions really bad for a while but gave it up. The general execution of the weapon seemed kind of "junky" upon examination. The magazines had a set screw in the spine for the lock up and magazine release was a big "flapper bar". Easy to get to but it changed the manual of arms. I heard you could accidently eject the magazine well adapter but I think they've since fixed the problem. Two other types of magazines from Oly. came out also. Both use the full, .233 mag well. One is a plastic magazine that has outside dimensions like a .223 mag. The other is an SMG type stick mag but it has a really funky "mushroom" top to it to fill up all of that space in the .223 well.

Like I said, I REALLY wanted one but just couldn't bring myself to spend the money everytime I handled one. You probably can't get hi-cap mags for it any more but LaFrance makes a very clean .45ACP conversion. Expensive I've heard, though.

I've just finished reading the evaluation on the new HK UMP45. Why didn't they make one WAY earlier?!? It's a futuristic .45ACP version of the MP-5. Lot's of polymer used throughout. Don't think they'll sell to civilians (but they did mention a 10 rd. magazine as an option), but let's cross our fingers!

The only luck I had with Olympic Arms was bad. Their bad attitude, failure to fix, etc. My 9MM conversion unit NEVER was even close to reliable. Two trips back, and still did not work. GLV

Back