ole bess

Good for you. Nice to hear somebody's not get'in rained out. Don't have a Brown Bess to shoot here. Just a 'Ol turtle thumper T/C I got. But it does still work ~~~I tink?_:o:rolleyes::)

Last semester I brought my Indian copy of the First Model Bess to school. Had to work on the tumbler to get it to stop dropping into the safety notch. Now the cock drops and the wood wedge (my faux flint) works strikes the frizzen/battery/hammer. Also took the opportunity to polish the front side of the frizzen/battery /hammer.

been meaning to roll up some cartidges for my bess carbine but every time I want to head to the range it rains .:mad: I got to roll some up for my charleville to if things ever dry out up here . supposed to be a good weekend coming so we will see. :)

Just got back from the range. The paper cartridges were better than I had thought they would be. The cartridges were rolled with printer paper. A .715 ball and 110 grn of FFg. 25 yards off the bench and I'm impressed with the accuracy.

Attachments

• IMG_20140622_125417.jpg
    IMG_20140622_125417.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 31
good shooting . I rolled up some paper cartridge a .735 ball on top of 75 gr. 2f goex . thinking of going up to 80-85 grs. gonna try that next , do you tie your cartridges or glue them ? I like to use the glue sticks and the pattern 76 template for the French style I guess you could call them .:)

TB9

I glue mine. I use the purple Elmer's sticks. Rolled around a 5/8ths dowel. My shooting buddies (hecklers) wouldn't shoot it. I guess they thought it would kick a bit. The recoil isn't bad, but it will let you know it went off.

yeah that's what I use . so far at 75 grs. no real recoil at all and accuracy is not bad so far that's why I was thinking of increasing the charge to 80-85 grs.

Too early for Kipling?

".....Outspoken, flinty lipped, brazen faced Jade....."

Love the history associated with that old warhorse.

kippling right ? . ive read that poem on the web some where once and in high school long ago . spent my time as a soldier with a weapon not at all as charming . :D

I started it with 70 grn and worked up 5 at a time. I read somewhere that smooth boreslikea stout load. It seems to be true. Accuracy is much better with the heavy charge. I run 70 grn under 120 grn of #6shot just for playing around. With the short barrel it throws about a 40 inch pattern at 25 yards.

haven't tried shot in mine yet still playing with my balls :D so to speak the bess has proven to be a lot of fun so far . got to get back to my charleville soon though that one is pretty much settled at a .662 ball on top of 85 grs. of 2f goex in a paper cartridge though I might drop that down to 80 grs. ive heard that about the stout charge but to be honest I prefer a little less . but I may just try a couple and see what happens .:)

Just got done rolling 11 more rounds. This time I dipped the ball end in bullet lube. I also am trying something new(to me) with shot. I cut aluminum foil like the paper, rolled it. Then rolled paper over it. Filled with shot and glued/twisted shut. Did the same thing using double paper, rolled in opposite directions. I'm hoping the shot packets will blow open and not just go downrange like a slug. Will post result some time Sunday evening.

sounds interesting keep us posted . what do you use for lube I have tried a 50/50 bee's wax and olive oil . for shot I use foil wrap round the dowel but to tell the true I ve not done much work up on it so far . :)

Back