Old winchester pump 22 caliber rifle

Sandek1

Inactive
I have a little 22 rifle and a shotgun I had since I was a kid.
Can anyone tell me anything about them.
The 22 is a Winchester pump and the serial number is 116021.
The shotgun is a 44shot stevens, I can't find a serial number.

Thank you,

Keith
Sandek1@aol.com

The John Browning's designed Winchester Model 1890 comes to mind.

1890s with serial # below 15k were solid frame (that is, the barrel and the magazine tube attached directly to the receiver). In 1893, a take down model was developed (also designated the 1890).

The second and later slide/pump action .22 of Winchester was the Model 1906. This differed from the 1890 in having a round 20" barrel and a composition buttplate.

Two other Winchester slide/pump actions were made: the hammerless Model 61 & external hammer Model 62.

I go blab on, but would like more details so as to the markings found on your gun as well as .

Keith - while you're posting that data, if you don't mind, let me ask about our own, old Winchester. It is a Winchester 22 L. or L.R., Model 190, s/n B2026713. It has a Sears scope 4x15 Coated Image Moving, Model #53988. (scope's probably not mil spec, eh?)

Note you can email Winchester for owners manuals via their web site at http://www.winchester-guns.com/ , and check in their FAQ's, towards the bottom of the page. [I haven't heard back yet on my recent request.]

Also, there is a kind fellow at http://members.tripod.com/~stock4broker/Firearms.html who is doing firearms research for folks, but I'm reluctant to query him about this particular rifle.

Anyone familiar with my rifle too? Thanks.

Keith, good luck.

Hi Harley and Gary,

Thank you for your responses.

Closer examination of the winchester 22 shows it is a model 1906. It shoots shorts only. The stock is in fair to good condition and the surface of the barrel has lost most of its bluing, but has no rust or pits. The interior of the barrel is as clean and spotless as new.

As for the Stevens. It is a single shot. The only number on it is near the trigger where one can see B 854.

I was told my grandfather carred this shotgun with him in his truck when he was a young man in Nebraska. According to my mother, during the depression he killed many a pheasant from the road with this little gun. It may not have been sporting, but for a dried out farmer trying to hang onto his land it put meat on the table.

I shot 410 shotgun shells form this when I was a kid and shot my first pheasant with it. Now, on closer examination, I don't think it was a good idea to shoot .410s from this gun.

Keith

Gary - thanks.

ps - Keith, I received a reply from Winchester the day after I sent them an email. They'll be sending me an owners manual gratis. Turns out my father-in-law's gun is much newer than yours, but you might want to give it a try.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited 01-14-99).]

Harley -

When I clicked on Jeff's link it was broken. That would be a good reason not to ask, but I doubt it was the real reason.

Yocboy.... my neighbor (ex) showed me his 1906 the other day, and from what I recall, it is tubular fed. Not gospel info, just from what I recall. His was in pretty good shape, except needed blueing and the stock needed to be touched up abit. It was a kids model, with a very short stock. He said it was his grandpa's way back when....

John

22 model 06 w/ ss barrell

Winchester model 06 -22 pump w/ stainless steel barrell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

serial number 834437 - short , long or long rifle.... I believe it was made in 1911 ,.... It is in great condition ... The main thing i have noticed about this gun is that it has a stainless steel barrell.... I've not noticed anyone else mention that about theirs ...... I need to know what it is worth .... I think maybe the SS barrell and the condition would make it worth a good bit more than others... If i can get top dollar , i need to sell it .. It's been in the family for at least 40 years ... I took it squirell hunting about 38 years ago... still in great shape..
Attached Images guns1.jpg (7.9 KB, 1 views)
gun2.jpg (9.9 KB, 1 views)

44-shot shotgun

I own a 44-shot shotgun. It belonged to my dad and was purchased about 1912. It is a break-open action and is a model 101 Stevens. Some people have had it bored out to take the 2-1/2 inch .410. About as fool-hardy a stunt I have ever heard of. I also have two old 44-shot cartridges and they have a bell-like end. I heard from a young man who also has one and he has hand-loaded empty 44-40 brass. I could too but the barrel is badly pitted and wouldn't pattern well.

Back