Old winchester model 70, pre 64

Cdiehl2955

Inactive
Hi all I'm new to the forum and enjoy reading everyone's comments about old rifles. Here's my situation, When I was 12 I was given my great uncles winchester model 70 30gov't06 to hunt with and I've used it for a few years before I decided to find a lighter rifle to carry, but I was wondering what it was worth, not to sell but just to know kind of deal, he bought the gun new for under $15 and the serial number is #129 it's in good used condition all original, any comments would be greatly appreciated thanks

That serial number indicates a 1936 production, so it's about as old as you can get, and probably very much high-dollar. How high? I don't know.

A Google search will bring up the Wikipedia article on the Model 70.

It's worth something for sure, but the only way to get a real value is to post pictures. Condition is everything, and depending on condition is if it has value as a collector, shooter, or action to build on. Shooters are worth about $700 for the 06 and builders run about $100 less. Collector prices vary, but the 06 was probably the most common chambering in the M70 so they're a lot of them out there.

Because of the family history the rifle should be priceless to you. Otherwise, in reasonably good condition, the price tags I've seen on pre-war model 70's is a lot higher than a brand new model 70. I don't know what they actually will sell for, but at Portland gun shows I've seen some in the $3,000 - $5,000 price range. 30-'06 followed by 270 are the most common calibers, so they are worth the least. Still, yours could easily be worth a couple thousand. Be careful to keep it all original and unaltered. But use it; hunt with it; in honor of your great-uncle and the rest of the Family. In your old age, at an appropriate time, hand it down to the one in the Family that will best honor the tradition and keep it in the Family, not necessarily your own son, could also be a nephew. In some families there might be several grandkids that all got their first deer with Grandpa's gun. Stuff like that builds family cohesion and breaks down generation gaps. You have an artifact. Do not consider that you own it, but rather that you are the appointed custodian of that piece of family history. You will appoint the next custodian.

Well my computer won't let me upload pics, but the gun is in generally good condition, few minor wear marks here and there but all original

To me, an old beat up 3 digit pre-64 Model 70 Win., passed down from family members would be priceless.

Sure you can some guy to buy it, he'll come up with all sorts of BS, telling why its only worth pennies on the dollar.

Then look at the price he puts on it (if he re-sells it).

But the real value is its a family gun, you cant put a price on it.

If you have to sell it, find a family member who cares and give them the first chance.

There are tons of good light rifles out there that will suit your needs without having to sell that gun. Ruger Americans, Remington 783s etc etc go for under $300s many places.

I have some family guns, My Mothers father single barreled shotgun (worthless) and my father's father's Smith Model #3.

Neither are worth a lot, but I'd take a second mortgage before I would sell them.

Deff not thinking about selling it by no means, I have lots of lighter guns I hunt with I was more or less just wondering what something like this was worth so I could more or less know what I was walking around with in the woods all those years ago, lol my gun safe is like a dungeon once a gun gets added it never gets sold

If I may ask; where do you live and hunt? Also, where did your great-uncle live and hunt with that rifle? Can we have a story? ;)
You may have some other nice rifles; but even without pictures, I feel safe to say, that is probably the best rifle you will ever have. Now you need to acquire some nice, vintage Silvertip ammo for your next big-time hunt.;)

Central pa mostly, he always hunted open sights with it until mid 40's I think when the whole family more or less went to scopes with Lyman bases? I know they flip open with the scope laying on the side so you could shoot open sights while still having a scope and he refused to use anything but 220's to hunt with lol everyone in the family had winchester model 70's around the same age as this one but this is the only one with a serial number with 3 digits the others all have between 7 or 8 digits, there was even a story of him in buck season in the 50's having 4 does run up to him broadside some 60yds away and shooting the first one and killing 3 of the 4 and having to finish the fourth one off, and believe it or not I actually have 1/2 box of silver tip 180's thst my pap collected lol

+1

Yeah, vintage family gun, no way I'd part with that.....unless it went to another family memeber who thought likewise.

Kraigwy pretty much nailed it.

With the price of bulk poly stocked rifles these days, it shouldn't take long to save up to buy one.

Back