Old Winchester .22 ID

Hedley

I was at a pawn shop on my lunch break today, when I came across an oddity int he form of an old Winchester .22. I don't recall if it was LR or WCF, but it did have the following:

Heavy octagon barrel of about 22" or more
Full length, 4" wide stock that looked aftermarket or home-made
Tang mounted flip-up peep sight
Rolling block action w/ exposed hammer
A $599 price tag

It didn't have anything but the usuall Winchester markings and a serial no.

It was also heavy as sin and looked like a 1885 model, but with a full stock and octagonal barrel.

I'm just curious as to what model it might be, and if there's no pitting and 50% remaining bluing, what it might be worth.

Sounds like a Winchester Low Wall 1885 with a hack stock on it.

Probably a falling block, not a rolling block. I am not aware of any Winchester rolling block rifles.

$599 sounds a bit steep for what you've described, but I would bet $350 would change the woner's mind.

Agree with Scorch... maybe.

Winchester doesn't make rolling blocks, only the 1885 falling block "highwall" and "lowwall".

If of .22 caliber it might be a .22 Short, .22 Long, .22 Long Rifle, .22 WRF, .22 WCF, .22 Hornet, .218 Bee, .219 Zipper, or any of a host of wildcats that have been put on Winchester actions over the years.

A highwall is worth more than a lowwall; a centerfire is worth more than a rimfire, except maybe .22 lr. Original is better than replaced or rechambered. Good is better than fair.

That is plenty of money for a shot out .22 short lowwall, although somebody who wanted to rebuild it for a companion gun to a BPCR target rifle would likely pay for it.

A highwall action alone would be worth more than $599 if you wanted to fool with it.

Look at it closely. Take pictures and show us. Know what you are looking at.

Back