Old Webley .38 S&W

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigTim

My Dad inherited an old Webley revolver from a guy who served in WW2. It appears to be like new. Is this piece safe to fire? Any idea as to its value? Thanks.

I have an even older Webly .455 revolver which I don't hesistate to fire (expensive ammo though). Whether your dad's .38 S&W is safe depends on things none of us can determine by what little information we now.

What condition is the gun? Is the action tight? Are the cylinders properly timed? What condition is the barrel? Cracks anywhere on the frame, cylinder, barrel? Probably the best thing to do is to take it to a gunsmith for examination.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Tim, one thing to be wary of is the caliber. A bunch (!) of the older revolvers chambered for .38 S&W have chambers deep enough for .38 Special. BIG difference!!

I think you already know this - but just wanted to be sure. Better safe that sorry!

I had one in .455 - lots of neat features I wish some were available on N Frame Smiths. Would love to have a Top Break M25 in .45 ACP and use full moon clips!

Giz

------------------
Vote Democratic! 1 Billion Chinese can't be wrong......

[This message has been edited by Gizmo99 (edited October 12, 1999).]

Do a web search on Curio & Relic, look for dealers like Century, or AIM, and you'll find many of these guns being offered for sale nowadays. Most are in fair shape, and they're reasonably priced at under $100.
These are shootable guns. The ammo, however, isn't cheap.

If yours is sound (get it checked) and without import marks, it might be worth $150-$200, but unlikely that its worth much more than than. (I'm guessing, here, so don't hold me to it.)

If you're interested, there are a number of lists (discussion groups) dedicated to C&R weapons, and this gun is discussed from time to time. Its a whole different world of weaponry. (Just got C&R license a few months back, and bought my first C&R handgun recently: a cz-50, a sweeting shooting little .32 auto. I was surprised by its accuracy.)

[This message has been edited by Walt Sherrill (edited October 12, 1999).]

The gun should either be an original Webley Mk VI or the Enfield No2 Mk1 copy. Is it DA only ? (Enfield No2 Mk1* "tanker") has it got a drop safety (No2 Mk1** if not) is it marked Albion (DAO No2 Mk1** made in Scotland). Original rounds were the 200 gr LRN later the 178 gr FMJ which was considered less lethal by the British and more in accord with International treaties on small arms of the time. If you want more info e-mail me. Otherwise only shoot 145/146 gr commercial .38 S&W LRN's.

Regards,

------------------
Mike H

Hi, Big Tim and guys,

I think there is some conclusion jumping here. Big Tim said the original owner served in WWII, not that the revolver is WWII vintage. It could be a .455 Webley or a Mk. IV Webley, or even an Enfield No.2, in which case it is not a Webley at all.

Tim, I think we need some more info.

Jim

If it is a .38 then your ammo problems are a little easier to fix, Remmington still makes it as 38S&W but the bore of the Webbly is .360 not .358 so it is not a perfect match, as for myself when I want to make my Webbly or S&W Victory (.38s&W) shoot better I load up some Hollow Base Wad Cutters (HBWC) with the recommend load of powder and they work just great. If it is a .455 then the only player in fiochi(sp) at $.50 each appx.

Jim K. may be right: it may be an Enfield, which looks remarkably like a Webley, with top break, etc. The Enfield was usually chambered in 38 S&W, and that's probably where Jim is coming from.

But, on the other hand, there WERE Webleys in 38 S&W (kinda rare), and bunches of them made in a Dutch 9.4 mm chambering. (Heck, I even read of one on a C&R dealer's site in .32 acp...)

TO All:
Hmmmmmmmmm! According to my records, Webley did make a .38, and it was titled the Webley-Fosbery Automatic Revolver.

there was also a Webley .38 S&W called the Mark IV, the Pocket Model, and the New model

If more information was available we could possible determine which model we are talking about.

HJN

The most common Webley .380 in this country is the Mk IV with square butt and 5 inch barrel. It is nearly identical in appearance to the Enfield No. 2, but does not have a sideplate, all the parts going in from the bottom or top. These were issued in WWII along with the Enfields, and many commercial guns were sold to the public and to various police departments after the war. These police guns are the ones that have been imported. Some came from Hong Kong, others from other former British colonies.

The ex-police guns are nicely blued and generally in good shape. Ex-military guns are often rough, reflecting hard service. Some have a marking "War Finish" which Webley put on to tell the public that the rough finish and quick blue job was not the norm.

Jim

Somebody please check their reloading manual for the dimensions on the 38 S&W. I think you can trim a regular 38 Special case down to make a 38 S&W.

Regarding the Enfield break-top revolver, some were manufactured with a manually operated safety block. The safety block was akin to that currently found on Marlin and Winchester lever action rifles today and one had to push this rectangular block from one side of the frame to another. This would permit you to cock (either SA or DA) the hammer.

The Webley Mark IV was produced in .38 S&W and was adopted in 1926 as a lighter replacement for the Webley W.S. in .455. It was also made in .32 and .22 LR.

The most peculiar of all Webleys are the automatic revolvers (remember, it was the gun used to kill Bogart's partner, Archer, in The Maltese Falcon). Like Harley said, it was available in both .455 Webley and .38 S&W.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back