Old Verses New 35rem chamber

I had heard some where that the 35rem chambers and therefore the sizing dies had a change. I'm trying to figure out when that change happened as I'm reloading for both my 1930 Model 8 and my 1956 Marlin 336. Any information will help as I'm planning on Black Bear hunting with my Remington?

The SAAMI specs have not changed. Certain manufacturers may have changed the throat length over time, or not. Certain manufacturers may not have adhered very closely to SAAMI specs. But there is no rule of thumb timeline to use?

Never heard of any changes for the 35 Remington. It's been a standardized chamber for a long time, over 100 years.

Yeah, but did you notice he has no reference for the stated change? Dies differ from one manufacturer to the next. Dies are made for knowledgeable people to reload cartridges. Most people learn the hard way that low pressure rounds are a little different, and that you don't just cram a fired cartridge case into a die and get a like-new case back out. I can't tell you how many times customers have gotten mad at me because their reloads don't work like factory ammo. My own brother gave me what for over a 30-30 I rebarreled for him that the primers were protruding .003" after firing. Headspace gauge says it was tight, but the brass he was loading had thin rims, so the cartridge got moved forward by the firing pin and never stretched to take the space up.

Back