Old stevens "falling?) block single shot price?

BerdanSS

I'm trying to help out the gentleman that I got my beloved S&W 1095 from. He's trying to find out what this rifle may be worth. It has a good bore, nothing mechanically broken and a tight action. He said it's a .25 and is marked J STEVENS A & T Co. Pat. 1794-25 stevens.

I think it's a Stevens Favorite and is probably chambered in .25 Long rimfire, a very common chambering.

I've seen them going for between 300 and 500...

As Mike said, it is a Stevens Favorite or Crackshot (it might say which it is on the barrel or receiver). It is not a falling block, it is a tipping block. The 25s are not much in demand and go for $350ish, ones originally chambered in 22LR go for more because they don't have to be rebarreled to shoot them.

Own both a Stevens Favorite and a Stevens model 44. They are kinda similar in appearance. Do believe Stevens shown, is a model 44 Ideal. Heavy round/octagon barrel on it gives it away. Favorite is kinda a kids rifle and will not have that barrel. The 44 is a much larger rifle and was chambered in nine cartridges, anything from a 22 LR to the 44-40 and yes, 25 rimfire too. By the way, Stevens didn't make the 38-55 and 44-40 ones too long. Seems the action loosened up too much with those rounds. Also, if it were a Favorite, should have that name stamped into top of the receiver. Leastways, mine does.

My 9 year old Gun Trader's Guide catalog shows the value of one in good condition to be $425. Think I paid around $250 for my 22 LR model 44 about 5 years ago and it needed some work.

Now if it was a 44.5 Ideal, Stevens changed the action some, making it stronger, you can double the value on it.

Last edited:
I think it is a Favorite. See the knurled ring on the barrel at the receiver? Frank DeHaas showed that as an adjustment to keep the takedown barrel snug, used on relatively few rifles.

If I had a mechanically sound but cosmetically challenged .25 RF, I would consider having it lined to .22 LR.
If the bore were pristine, I would see if somebody would make me some of the adapters that would use a .22 blank as a replaceable primer.

Yep, the takedown screw on bottom of action in pics kinda confused me too. Ideal has a counter sunk screw located there.

However, another reason I think it may be a 44 Ideal is the shape of the block that is exposed. Top of a Favorite block is straight for about 3/4"" then has a steep but slight outer curve down, while top of Ideal block is straight for only 1/4" and has a slight but much longer double curve downward. Looks more like an Ideal block than a Favorite block to me.

Suggest the action be measured across the width of the action to determine what it is. If it measures close to 15/16", its a Favorite, if 1 1/16" its a 44 Ideal

Last edited:
Back