Old Stevens double barreled shotgun

GDotterer

Inactive
I am looking for info on my grandfather's double barreled shot gun. I am a novice about shotguns, so any info would be appreciated. (When manufactured, value) It is a model 235, double barreled, wooden stock, 2 triggers, 2 hammers. Barrel is 31 inches from front to hammers. It needs minor restoration. Probably hasn't been used in 20 or more years. Hope someone out there can help.

I couldn't say but wanted to respond with congratulations to you for having a double in the first place. I'd choose a double over an auto or pump most times.

The only info on the Model 235 in my Blue Book is it was manufactured between 1912-32, and 61,500 units were made. Stevens shotguns are not really collectible,, but generally good shooters. Your Grandad's gun should probably be looked at by a gunsmith before firing. My guess at a value would be < $400.

Mine is a "J Stevens A & T Co" Model 225. Made in Chicopee Falls, MASS. These were utility shotguns, and most farms around here 80-100 years ago had one for rabbits, squirrels, varmints, hawks, quail, trespassers, crackers, and white trash in one's watermelon patch. My specimen belonged to my wife's grandfather, who was born in the 1880s. It is in pretty good shape. Many of these guns will be split to some degree in the thin wood just in front of or behind the pistol grip. My gunsmith guy put some pins and glue and some kind of "plastic wood" in the damaged parts and said I could shoot it some without damage. I ordered up a case (250) of low pressure 2.5 inch shells for occasional use. I haven't measured my chambers, but I bet they are 2 9/16. Most of us just shot 2 3/4 inch shells in these old guns, and that just made the thin spots split that much worse.

Mine still keeps the white trash out of my watermelon patch.;)
DSC02098.jpg

i've collected at least twenty , stevens 235's, in both 12 and 16 gauge. plus extra barrels and parts from gun shows and auctions. in my opinion the last and best of the old hammer shotguns. i shoot both black powder and modern shotgun shells . the barrels are nitro proofed for modern shotshells. just took my limit of fox squirrels yesterday, with hand loaded 12 gauge black powder shotshells.

I'd love to have one of those.

There are a few guys on this forum who have similar old shotguns who handload their own vintage smokeless loads and/or blackpowder loads (actually they use a somewhat less dangerous but equally powerful black powder substitute), and let me tell you, its a hoot. I have an old single barrel Forehand Arms external hammer shotgun that I turned into a useful - and FUN- shooter, by "rolling my own".

Its really easy to do, it doesn't require a lot of expensive machinery and you've already got the gun.

My Stevens

I was given an old Stevens a few months ago. I don't know the year. It's a double barrel 16 ga. with internal hammers. It also has a plastic stock & forearm. The barrels were badly rusted with a spider nest in one of them. The stock was covered with a white mold. I showed it to my local gunsmith & he didn't think it was worth investing any time or money. I'm retired so I worked on it anyway. I removed all the rust & reblued the barrels. The insides of the barrels were chromed & came out spotless. The mold came right off with soap & water & a greenie sponge. I brought it back to my gunsmith & he said it looks like it was never fired. There was no wear in the moving parts. I fired a round of 25 at the trap range & hit 11. My gunsmith measured the muzzels & told me the right one was choked at improved cylinder & the left one modified. I can't wait to do a few more rounds at the trap range.

Sporting Clays.

I took the Stevens out on a 12 station trail today but had to switch to a different gun by the end of the second station. Stock came loose & I didn't have a long narrow screw driver to fit down the hollow plastic stock to tighten it again. I tightened it just before I left my house. Turns out it's the wrong size screw. I bought the right size at the hardwear store & now it seems OK. I only ended up hitting 18 out of 100. I need more practice, lots more.:(

After 60 years, I was able to get my dad's 16 ga. Model 215 Springield Stevens sxs hammer gun from the guy dad sold it to in 1950 (the guy gave it to me!) A gunsmith checked it over, replaced the hammer springs and made some adjustments. Unfortunately, the barrels had been cut off to 20" but it patterns 91% in a 30" circle at 20 yards with 7-1/2 RGL's. I shot a round of wobble clays (all shots 20-35 yards) and hit 18x25 with it. Fun to shoot and very interesting and enjoyable listening to my dad's stories about hunting with it (Dad is 93, still lives on the farm, still drives and still shoots an occasional round of skeet and hunts doves). He said he paid $15 for it in the 1930's, and it is the only gun he ever got his limit of quail and a pheasant on the same day.

Would like to find another reasonably priced sxs hammer gun with 28" barrels.

stevens 235

$400 for a 235? way too much.like i said, i have collected about 20 of them and counting , and never paid more than $175 for any of them. the last one i bought went for $150 at auction , and that was in march. just like the rest, the barrels were as shiney as a new nickel and the breeches tight as a tick. i took a 12 out last saturday and killed the limit of fox squirrels. i use paper shotgun shells loaded with black powder and no. 6 shot. i load the shells myself.

Hate to dig this one up, but figured it's better than starting a new topic.

Saw a 235 in the LGS yesterday--$295 asking (too much?)

Is the barrel release lever supposed to spring back to the "locked" position once the barrels are opened? It springs to the "locked" position as soon as the barrels are clear of the action.

Right hammer tip busted, forearm splintered, buttstock has minor cracking at tang. Normal patina but wouldn't call it "well-aged".

I'm thinking more in the sub-$200 range. But that's just me.

Back