Old Shotgun Shells any value

KEYBEAR

Looking for a Value/price for some old shotgun shells .
I have (4) four full boxes of JC Higgins 16 ga. number 4 shot paper shells
The boxes are as new very clean and all shells as new .

Also (2) two boxes of Western Super X also 16 ga. paper shells .
They are 2-9/16 long 4 shot and as new boxes are 100% as are shells

Best I guess 50 to 70 years old .

Any value ???

Yes, but I can not tell you what it is. There are a lot of serous ammunition collectors around. Might need to look an a sight dedicated to collectors to find out value.

I would hazard a guess that the loads may actually be more valuable to 16 ga shooters that prefer paper hulls, than to actual ammunition collectors.

Though there are new paper hulls available, every 16 ga reloader that I've ever met has been willing to pay top dollar for 'vintage' paper hulls, because they last longer and are easier to fold and seal than modern hulls.

...every 16 ga reloader that I've ever met has been willing to pay top dollar for 'vintage' paper hulls, because they last longer and are easier to fold and seal than modern hulls.
That assumes that the two boxes of antique shells are of the folded variety. I have two antique #6 shot, 16 gauge Federal shells that have a rolled crimp with an over-the-shot card. Aside from that, one of my neighbors had a supply of old paper shot shells that he took hunting with us one day. At the end of the hunt, he decided to shoot a few to see if they were still good. They all fired, but with long hang-fires. In that case, I don't think they would be very valuable to a trap of skeet shooter. However, as an antique the fact that they would hang-fire would be of no concern to a collector. Check the market for antique paper shot shells and if the going price is not high enough, hang on to them until the market rises...as it almost certainly will as more of them are going to be foolishly fired and thus reducing their availability.

The shells are all rolled crimp with an over-the-shot card and the card has the shot size on it . The shells are as new not old crap I know every shell will fire as well as a new shell . I have found old shells that I would not use .

The shells are all rolled crimp with an over-the-shot card and the card has the shot size on it . The shells are as new not old crap I know every shell will fire as well as a new shell . I have found old shells that I would not use .
Your shells are antiques. The short answer is that they are likely more valuable as antiques than as ammunition. Offer them for auction on Gunbroker.

Back